The American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It is the American Dream
What we all strive for and imagine
Indouble-wide trailers to double-wide mansions
In sprouting lakes of fake fish.
Nothing captures its essence
Unbound by time or dust or rot
The thingswe cherish still are lovingly patted
And brought through thecenturies.

It is more than a dream now
It's a reality that the millionshave made
Our heart and soul builds the heaven on earth.
A refuge for thesick,
And a shelter for the needy,
It is everything we desire.

Inthe cherry trucks and laughing children
To indolent teenagers with smokecircling
We see our dream and the actuality
It may not be perfect, but itis our heaven
And so disillusioned we conjure forth our hope.

In thepicket fences we see our childhood
In the sky we see our adulthood
And inthe middle we see our life.
Suspended, but not contained,
It is the dreamthat wakes within us all.

garthgirl8888 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good. I am impressed and also happy that you chose to write about something different from love, romance, stereotypical relationships. My one question is whether some of your words were squished together on purpose or not. If not, proofread more, and if so I don't really understand why. However, this is a tiny detail; you have here a wonderful piece.

jasmineflower<3 said...
Beautifully written; you truly have talent. . . keep it up!

publicdomain said...
I loved it

Wildflower30 said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 4:00 am:
This is so pretty!

KenManSon said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 11:21 am:
This is so very true love it

Annie.C said...
I really liked it... especially the last stanza...

Pure-Enchanted said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm:
Some words are bunched together which kind of disracts the reader, but I like it.

gpnukem said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm:
I enjoy your optimism.  Keep the hope.

ilovedayna said...
this is the american dream that pilgrims and them had... and i believe theres still ppl out there that have this dream. Good Job with the poem but before putting it on the web you should look through it one more time.... but i like it. i like it a lot

cleo said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm:
the last two lines are amazing and really bring the whole poem together

Gigantron said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:17 am:

What this author describes may be the idealistic vision of the "true" American dream...but it's purely idealism. 

The sins that beset human kind: Nuclear power, war, famine, etc. are all part of this messed up reality of which we choose to live in. 

The American dream has already came true. You're looking at it. =|

TheKingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:44 am :
Just clarifying, nuclear power our nuclear weaponry?

Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:46 am :
I hate typing on my phone! "our" should be "or"

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 4:35 pm :
Well, mabye it's both...

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm :
Both are pretty bad.

publicdomain replied...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm :
No nuclear power is extremely beneficial to sustaining today's electrical output without straining our less abundant natural resources and with a lesser affect on the environment. Chernobyl is the only reason nuclear power is given a harsh rep and it was merely because the soviet union decided to save money and stop renewing old machines causing a nuclear fallout. Anyways nuclear weapons can be very dangerous for today's society but you would be surprised at how many benefits there are to nuclea... (more »)

Fran94 said...
The American Dream you describe is very vivid and real. I can really imagine that dream. I think you should keep writing poems like this one. This poem, to me, truly does embrace the dream that many people have.

trblue said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 1:55 am:
im not gone lie your poem is so good that it gors right over my head or it's because im so so so so so sleepy. yes, it's the second one.

LostInTime said...

Wow, I loved this poem. 

Particularly because I've been studying u.s history and feeling rather patriotic as of late ; ) 

elizrhea said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 7:00 am:
I really liked this poem. It's so true.