Listen to Me

Must I live up to your standards of me? Can I not be the me that I want to be? Do I have to change for you to accept me? So I'm not social. Big deal. Does it matter? It's not like I want to be shy. I'm smart. I do well. I'm going to college. Fewer friends means time for school, or to be by myself. Is that really such a bad thing? I am liked. I have friends. I just don't obsess. You should be glad you're not spending $350 a month on texts. I ask what's important. Isn't that enough? What do you want from me? I can't change overnight. Your quick-fix solutions don't work. I'm trying. But don't expect miracles, okay?You should be happy I'm not like other girls. I don't drop big $$ at Abercrombie or Hollister. You don't have to stop me and say, "You're not wearing that!" I don't live on my cell phone. I don't tune you out with an iPod. I don't drive you crazy, going out late. I don't go to Starbucks. I don't invite friends over all the time. I'm much more low-matinence when I'm not like other girls. (which is pretty much all the time) I don't gossip. I can keep a secret. I know who my friends are. Isn't that something you can ask of me? But you never do. It's always, "Syd, why are you so shy?" I have friends. I have a life. Isn't that enough for you to ask?

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 9:14 am
I could really relate to this, it's like you're a mind reader, this describes me PERFECTLY.  Really, it does, I wrote a nonfiction piece somewhat similar to this.

dreamer said...
Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

_Elsy_ said...
i love this, i can relate to this so much. I even laughed cause it is what i have to face everyday, and being shy is not a bad thing. You are what you are, no one can change that and if they try to you'll still be the same

jonas_chick899 said...
good voice:] twas a very nicce piece