First Month as a Vegetarian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It was cheese, counting calories and carrots, pizza,
broccoli, bread, peanuts, omega-3 pills
like fat June beetles, tofu, yogurt, meat dreams;

there was marrow Monday;
It was eggplant, spinach, sprouts;
there was tongue Tuesday;
pasta: angel hair, ravioli, lasagna, macaroni,
tortellini, pasta roni;
there was umbles Wednesday;
It was cannelini beans, cheese binge, black beans, brown
beans, lima beans, kidney beans;
there was tripe Thursday;
iron deficiency,
more spinach, more broccoli, cashews,
zucchini,
cheese addiction; there was fatback
Friday; It was lettuce, cucumber, tomato,
onion, corn, granola;
there was sweetbread Saturday;
endless research and attempts to
exorcise the meat demons;
there was success

until suet Sunday.

BaiLiHua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think this is wonderful, a charming and funny take on becoming vegetarian ... or trying to.

Arihead said...
I could never not eat meat i am addicated to it.

jesusluvsus said...
me too and all the meat dreams and people like taunting you with their bacon it sucks but i have been a vegetarian for more than 2 years

AnnaV This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Bacon might be something I miss the most! I wrote this about a year ago, when I was just starting out. Thankfully the meat dreams have ceased :)

Shabanana replied...
I am also a vegetarian and this was very interesting to see. I never really miss the meat but i sometimes feel like people think of me oddly. Am i the only one? I also get nauseous sometimes when people talk about meat. Am I alone here?

i<3steven! said...
i am a vegetarian too and i have problems with getting a balenced diet

It definitely can be challenging! Sometimes it seems like life would be so much easier if I would just eat meat! I have to admit, when I first became a vegetarian I actually hated most of the foods in this poem. But now I enjoy it all so much, and have gotten quite good at cooking too. If you would like any very simple and easy recipes (college student=no time for anything complicated!) that I've come up with, I would be glad to give them to you :D

i<3steven! replied...
that would be cool thanks, uuuuummm i don't know how you would get them to me tho