American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

InkDance said...
I absolutely love this piece because I think it captures the sardonic humor of America, and it's amazing to me tat you could do it in so few words. I can't really express how much this poem embodied to me...the fact that we're the strongest but the cruelest. 

M2M4life:) said...

i love the feel of it.. the desolation && the anger but the hope at the end. it makes it so beautiful

palak said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 10:50 am

its v.well worded keep up the good work

chek out my work as well??

nicole3324 said...
that is so true and so amazing rock on and keep writing

AngelicRocker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
When I read the title of the poem I instantly though of the song Hollywood by Marina and the Diamonds, but this poem was completely different, in a good way :) Luved it :))

demetria said...

i actually liked this poem. the concept was nice and the word choice fit the idea of this poem.

i just wish it were longer.

luv2swim said...
May 30, 2010 at 11:52 am
wow, that was amazing!! I love the way you portrayed all that a person can face in just a day! Keep writing! Please read my piece!! It's my first piece on this website and i want to know how you like it. Please read mine and comment!!!

justthtblondie said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:14 am
Best piece i've read all day. Absolutely fantastic!

Patience97 replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:50 am

I like your poem! Keep up the good work :)

HeraclitusDRM said...
nicely done.

EleanorRigby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So many of the poems on here are incredibly corny, but this managed to be true and genuine. It is a pleasure to read. Great job! And maybe you can read a few of my poems as well. If you do, let me know. 

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
cool stuff, but what pushed you to write this?

GreenActressThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is very good and unique. Very creative and deep as well, you're a really good writer! Check out some of my work? Thanks! :)

miss-silverwing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Accidentally gave you three stars instead of four or five... :( Anyway, I like this poem; it's deliciously dark but somehow hopeful. Great job.

perfected_11 said...
May 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

i love it!

the message is right

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 7:25 am

This is really powerful.

i like the part about waking up, it's worded really well. good work!

choreographer218 said...
I love this... you are a really amazing writer. The world needs you to write these kinds of poems. So many people can relate to them, including myself!

LivyFay said...
Amazing, really really really amazing

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 11:40 am
I love this. Keep writing.

xBaByGiRrL22x said...
wow.
very deep, really good:))
beautiful job