American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

justthtblondie said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:14 am:
Best piece i've read all day. Absolutely fantastic!

Patience97 replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:50 am :

I like your poem! Keep up the good work :)

HeraclitusDRM said...
May 14, 2010 at 8:23 pm:
nicely done.

EleanorRigby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 4:28 pm:
So many of the poems on here are incredibly corny, but this managed to be true and genuine. It is a pleasure to read. Great job! And maybe you can read a few of my poems as well. If you do, let me know. 

Marlyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm:
cool stuff, but what pushed you to write this?

GreenActressThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm:
This is very good and unique. Very creative and deep as well, you're a really good writer! Check out some of my work? Thanks! :)

miss-silverwing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm:
Accidentally gave you three stars instead of four or five... :( Anyway, I like this poem; it's deliciously dark but somehow hopeful. Great job.

perfected_11 said...
May 8, 2010 at 10:58 am:

i love it!

the message is right

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 7:25 am:

This is really powerful.

i like the part about waking up, it's worded really well. good work!

choreographer218 said...
I love this... you are a really amazing writer. The world needs you to write these kinds of poems. So many people can relate to them, including myself!

LivyFay said...
Amazing, really really really amazing

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 11:40 am:
I love this. Keep writing.

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm:
wow.
very deep, really good:))
beautiful job

TheseBrownEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm:
I really like this poem! I thought that it flowed quite nicely, and don't worry about some of the other comments. Poetry isn't always meant to be understood, only shared, loved, and cherished. Keep it up! great job!

Mar. 25, 2010 at 11:13 am:
This is a beautiful piece. Please keep writing.

x0x0Luckyx0x0 said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 8:56 am:
Contrary from the other people that have commented this poem, I completely get it. The true meaning may not be able to be found at first glance, but if you re read it, you can see it. I loved it. :] Good Job.

crisscross said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 11:21 pm:
i think that this poem is great sometimes poems have jsut the true meaning to its author he may see it differently then us trying to figure out its point and the endless opportunities to it is the fun of poetry it never has to ahve a point to me it talks about life has its rough starts but when you get going it becomes easier either that or his dream applies to it all and his dream is him thinking life is full of bread and butter but truly its a wicked place idk really its all the author who tru... (more »)

JordanBlue said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm:
It is a little inconsistent. I don't really get, I can't get to that deeper point. I am trying to contemplate what is means exactly, can't quite pinpoint it.

myworld10 replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm :
same with me. i thought it was only me: i kind of get it, but it leaves me still wondering what it exactly what it means or what the author is trying to explain what it means to him/her. but i still like the poem though.

krisssss This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
The poem is good, but the point is inconsistent. I love this poem alot though, so please keep writing!