American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 6:14 am

Oh my goodness. What can I say about this poem?

I loved it. The imagry was fabulous, especially the part about the broken glass. The message was solid-Goddess knows the "American Dream" has been perverted and glossed over. The title has just the right amount of biting sarcasm. Even the picture fits well. This is good stuff.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 6:15 am
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the use of extended metaphor for the dream was excellent. I especially loved the part about sleep still being in the eyes.

Artistic_whirlwind said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 1:59 am
love the imagry this poem gives! the American dream is such a pathetic streotype that tries to gloss over things people don't want to think about. thank you and please keep writing!

Angela 2. said...
It makes a lot of sense. The narrartor has heard that America is considered the land with them most opportunity. But s/he finds out that it's never that easy...

Artistic_whirlwind said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 1:57 am
screename, what a horrible thing to say! just because a poem doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean you can be totally rude. if you can't think of something nice than please don't say it at all :(

darkangel09 said...
i've never heard it put that way before. wow very nice. nothing too good or too bad lasts forever

Kathleen_Lee-Anne said...
opps, opinion**

Kathleen_Lee-Anne said...
Wow! you have a brilliant way of putting things. I just joined teenink monday. You should read my story. It's called "Jack" I would love to hear your openion.

darraasheaa said...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 6:42 am
this poem is really well written, and really made me think about society. keep up the good work! :)

evdiamond said...
this is great!

samantha9441 said...
This was really good!! I would love it if you read my piece! I only have one up right now... another one is pending. Thanks!

skyblue95 said...
this was so awesome! im not one for poetry but i actually really liked this. if u could take a look at some of my work, it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

theatercamper1212 said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:21 am
Really good. I want to read more of your work it would be awesome or even to see artwork. But this was really good! So keep writing.

QuixoticDreamer said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 10:50 am

The imagery captures the irony well. Not many people are willing to face-let alone write about- the lies that make up the stereotypical American dream.

Nicely done!

SOSaiXD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I couldn't agree with you more...

olican16 said...
this is ssoosososososoossoso good!! i love this!

DeadPeopleKinndaGrl said...
I love it! Great job person of America. Plzzzzzzzz give me some feedback!!! Thanx (:

Lucy(: This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 11:57 am

i totally agree with this poem, it has so much meaning that most amreicans don't understand.

i love the voice you have in it. (:

bbygurl21 said...
this is beautiful i love it can you comment some of my work please

DeadPeopleKinndaGrl replied...
I'll swap u stories!! Ur comments for mine!!! Thanx (:

qekelly1 said...
I LOVE IT