Holding On | Teen Ink

Holding On

By Jennifer Barone BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Jennifer Barone BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey

I am from the original Nintendo and kickball games/From subdivisions and tall shady trees/I am from hot summer nights, that ended long ago/From tight kitchen quarters filled with laughs and card games/I am from sticky peanut butter sandwiches and Kool Aid/From old tree swings and intense games of SPUD/I am from softball games and Grandma's cookies/From Scooby-Doo and The Wizard of Oz/Memories stashed away in the closet/Waiting for a rainy day to bring them out again//I am from days spent down the shore/From scrapes and bruises of fun gone wrong/I am from playing at Davy's to saying goodbye/From car rides with Pop-Pop and trips to Shohola with cousins/I am from wishing summers would never end/ From watching the last rays drift into crisp autumns/I am from trudging through snow and splashing in puddles/From brother's baseball games and smells of onion grass in the field//I am from the strong smell of lilacs and lavendar soap/From Nanny's cool kitchen floor and a white picket fence/I am from that long week in October to the worst June ever/From making friends and cooking disasters/I am from bright colorful Christmas lights and pierogies/From singing in the car and finally letting go/Trying to remember, but still I forget//All of these days had to end/Now they're just pictures and letters, packed away in old Converse boxes/Days when laughter echoed through the air and days when quiet silent tears fell/Things and people around me come and go, but I am holing on to those memories/Tucked away in the shadows, waiting for me to return.