Killer Looks | Teen Ink

Killer Looks

May 28, 2009
By Samantha Daiber BRONZE, Saint Peters, Missouri
Samantha Daiber BRONZE, Saint Peters, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jane, age 5, sits on the floor of her room playing with her Barbies. She carefully picks out what skirt for the Barbie to wear. She picks the shortest one and fixes the long straight blonde hair.

Jane, age 10, goes shopping with her Mom. They walk swiftly past Limited Two. She looks in the window that displays the “in” clothes. She doesn’t ask to stop. She knows she isn’t thin enough to wear those clothes.

Jane, age 13, gets sneered at in the hallway. She isn’t tan. She isn’t a size double zero. She can’t afford Hollister. Her hair isn’t perfectly straight. Popular girls get a kick out of it.

Jane, age 16, sits on the couch watching MTV. The TV has her in a trance. Her eyes overdose on images of touched-up teen girls.

Jane, age 18, sits at dinner with her family. She excuses herself to the restroom where she turns on the faucet until she the sight of what she fought so hard to swallow appears.

Jane, age 20, tan, 5’9’’, 104 pounds, wearing $80 jeans, dies from cardiac arrest.

Jane, age 20, lies in her casket.

Annie, age 7, sits on the floor where her sister’s wake is playing with Barbies.