Pretty Little Lie

I could have seen you die, a thousand times,
And never had heard your pity fleeting cry,
Moreover this moonlit night, haven’t you heard of my pretty little lie?
Stashed in the membranes of my tongue, a night near day where he was hung,
Lost in the hopelessness’s of autumn’s first love, moreover the sound of his merciless drum.
Substitutes for her broken heart, you and she, you said would never be apart,
Tisk tisk my lord, my prince, beauty and the beast could’ve done better than this,
Rise again to your final fleeting cry,
Silly boy, have you not heard of my pretty little lie?

I hath not seen you die a thousand times,
Thou art shameful for thine pitiful cries; hide them deeply within her eyes,
She will cover them, burry their features, when a boy grows to man, should you ever return to fill her cup,
Poetry hath not a hold on me, the hold it did, the hold on thee,
My heart, my heart, my aching bleeding heart,
Edgar Allen could not have buried it under floorboards for you,
Had you wished someday to get rid of me, too,
Her heart, her heart, not the floorboards, but an ornament on your window,
Your cries, your cries, your eyes, your eyes, bleed and bleed your pitiful times,
Lost in the hopelessness of winter’s third love, two hearts, one under floorboards,
The other on your windowsill.
When hath boy grown into man?
Moreover, I’ll wait for you to discover my pretty little lie.

Madelyn said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm:
Thank you, you guys. And wow, Amyxu, I didn't notice that! You're right! Haha! That's really comical, I didn't notice that at all. Thank you so much for pointing that out :D
I wouldn't have noticed :B
I'll look out for it in the future <3

amyxu said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 3:06 pm:
Hey, I was browsing Teen Ink and I came across your poem. This is very interesting. I like all the imagery you've incorporated into it. One thing kinda threw me off, though, when in the first stanza you say "haven't" and then in the second stanza it's all "hath." The language switch just got me confused, that's all. Maybe if you didn't want to change it at all, you could still make it work. If you added a few clues as to when the language switches to old english, it could have a g... (more »)

PeaceLovePiggy said...
Jul. 1, 2009 at 10:31 am:
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!! Keep writing! <3

Madelyn said...
Jun. 29, 2009 at 5:52 pm:
And I can't wait to see what else you post :)
Thank you for your comments, as well. Haha, I was also growing discouraged, needless to say. Didn't think anyone one else would comment. I'll stalk your work, if you don't mind, from here on <3

Joanna said...
Jun. 26, 2009 at 8:14 pm:
Aha, I'm glad I got something right. Thank-you for the compliment on my poem but I've resigned myself to the fact that it just doesn't matter how good your work is. The best story ever written could simply be lost in the flood of work.
Thank-you very much though. I was growing discouraged and your comment really helped.
I can't wait to see what else you will post. :)

Madelyn said...
Jun. 26, 2009 at 3:27 am:
Thank you, Joanna. That, actually, was exactly how I felt about this. I knew that nobody would understand it. Sometimes I prefer to keep it that way. Intelligent? Well, you managed to understand the fact that this poem wasn't actually meant to be understood. :)
Thank you.

Joanna said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 12:59 am:
You have a wonderful flow. It's like a haunting melody...
It seems I am not as deep as Sallyloco as I'll admit I did not understand most of it. However, in my amature-ish opinion, I'd say this poem is more for the author. We the audience are only allowed a glimpse into you life and we can marvel at the beauty of that glimpse but we'll never understand it.

Ah, forget it. Ravings of a person trying to sound intelligent. Wonderful poem Madelyn. I can't say anymore.

sallyloco said...
Jun. 22, 2009 at 12:40 am:
Interesting. I could have read better though. Most teens wouldnt understand this very much.