Her

I see her at dinner the night before. Drugged and crazy, her eyes meet with mine for a millisecond. Giant, watery-blue orbs. Above heavy, heavy, purple bags. Wildly bloodshot. Threatening. Dangerous.

I know that to contend with her would be impossible. Let it slip. Just play with the Spaghetti O’s. Oops . . . one slipped off my spoon . . . dropped PLOP on the floor. It seems so loud only because it’s so quiet right now. Just breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Pick up the pasta. Hmm . . . try to break it in half. It slipped again! Go on in such a manner until she slides away from the table, silently, eerily, and collapses on the sofa with a desperate, obnoxious grunt.

Finally I can leave. I scoop the untouched, half-cooked, cold canned dinner into the snow outside. I like to watch the snow melt. I think it’s a brighter horizon.

I walk into my room. Trip on carpet fray, as always. Pull out elastics, along with hair. Ouch! French braids hurt--that’s one thing she’s good at. Kick off slippers with the gaping hole at the right big toe. Rub eyes with my fists. Flop in bed. Sleep.

Dawn comes like a scared pigeon, just comes over you and next thing you know, you’ve got a bird in your face and some white, sticky stuff on your c . . . cc . . . ccccoldd fleece jacket.

I’m getting ready for school now, Mom. Can you hear me? You’re usually up all night when you’re like that. I mean, off and on. You know what I mean. Hold on, you’re still on the couch?

I run to school the speed of light.

Dandelion said...
Feb. 16, 2010 at 10:28 am
Thanks so much for the comments! I really appreciate them. :)

Rkingett This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really really like this peice for its complexity, and the catchy onotopeias were spot on! wonderfull, and so vivid! nice!

lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good. I like how you use onomatopoeia in this piece. It really captures my attention. I love poems like that. Great job! By the way, Thank you so much for the comment. It is greatly appreciated.

Redsoxrule12 said...
Wow...that was really good. You are such a good writer!! GREAT POEM!

Abigail_W said...
I also like Mean Girls, The Shining, and Seinfeld like you, too!

Abigail_W said...
That is crazy! I guess we have a lot in common. XD

EleanorRigby This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 14, 2009 at 3:37 am
this is a cool poem, the imagery is really good. and thanks for commenting on my poem, "angels". eleanor rigby is one of my favorites too, and i saw that you like charles dickens he's also one of my favorites, and you know what's even weirder? my name's abigail too. im not joking.

cmoney1996 said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:32 am
This was a great poem check mine out called Marriage or check out WHY name is Christian S

AJ K. said...
Nice job well written