Everything

What am I? You know. Or you did know. I am many things.

I'm the drugs that are so addicting, those cigarettes that you've just got to have, that bottle of Scotch sitting by your bed.

I'm the rain, the sun, the blooming flowers, lighting, death, passionate love between a couple, I am your soul.

When you're running in the morning and you want to stop so badly, I'm that cramp that keeps you going.

When you've left the door to your heart wide open for anyone to just walk right on through. I'm the janitor who closes it and puts a new, sturdy lock on.

When you're in your room and come out of your shell, shedding off the fake you. Putting your disguise in the hamper to wash.

Turning your music on as high as it can get, singing along, and letting everything out where you think no one can see.

I do not judge.
I do not gossip.
I do not fight.
I do not speak.
I do not hold grudges.

I listen.
I understand.
I see everything.
I know everything.

I have been watching you your entire life , I have been what some people call an invisible buddy or an imaginary friend.

But really, when you're a kid still fresh in the mind, you can see me. Understand who and what I am. Know that I'm really there even though nobody else does.

But as you grow and you create your disguise, I silently step back and watch. And when I see holes in come and lend you a hand and wipe the tears away and blow away the dust. I stay until you say you don't need me any more.

But then I'm back.

I know who you are.
You know who you are.

Or do you?

sleeplessdreamer said...
Ok, so my mouth was hanging open the entire time I was reading that. IT WAS SO AMAZING! Not even kidding, you are definitely my favorite author so far on TeenInk. Why don't they put THIS stuff in the magazine.

Evelyn replied...
thnx so much! i really liked this one too. i was going through a hard time and needed to vent a little. omb! u do not no how much  this means to me by u commenting!! no one ever comments on mine. YOU RULE. ill be sure to check out ure work