Here I am... | Teen Ink

Here I am...

Here I am running for my life,being chased by five of our rival gang members.Running out of breath, but I keep running. I run through the alleys and try to escape.How do you think I feel, being chased because of who I am.These guys want to kill me,and all I could think about is could I allow myself to get into this situation. Why didn't I stop when my family told me to do so? How could I proceed with the gang bangin'life?I feel as my life were flashing by right before my very own eyes.Tough luck.Wishing I could go back in time and change everything I did. I wish I didn't make the choice to get initiated into this gang. Tears run through my eyes, as I regret everything I have done. I took a look back at my life and realized I deserved everything. I deserve being attacked by these gangsters. I keep running,but all of the sudden I decided to stop.I walk over to the guys and tell them "I'm ready to be blasted" so i let them do their thing.I closed my eyes and pray to God to forgive me for all my sins.Body numb, I opened my eyes and saw a hand reach out to me... It was God.

I wrote this back in 2006 ,when I was only 15 years old. The reason why I wrote this was because I was hanging out with the wrong people and I felt I had no other choice but to do so. The lifestyle of the character was they way I used to feel everyday.