Yellow and Brown This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

i am nothing. (but a little yellow sundress and brown feet slapping down cottage woods court

under a sloppily painted sunset,

which drips through magnolia trees and eases into open windows and competes with

the devilish blue flicker of

the TV and seeps into the bones, the inner architecture of millions of bodies plus one yellow dress skipping up dusty stairs;

the sunset slams into warm asphalt; could for one moment, dangling wet and heavy from an eyelash, could there be the time

i caught perfection in a jar - it sat there all winter

accumulating dust

then i let go - )

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the December 2007 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

MissMia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You're a very strong writer, great job!

ChrisJ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very moving, good flow, and great imagery, good job!

Amy13 said...
I don't really know why... but this poem really makes me want to cry too...

Amanda N. said...
Wow. This strikes a nerve and makes me want to cry for some reason... I love the ending. I agree. Nice imagery.

snc947 said...
I love the poem you've written. Keep writing Rachael!

runningincircles said...
This is amazing

Elisha said...
I love this poem! It draws up so much imagery, and it's written phenomenally. It's one of my all-time favorites.