The Jesus Christ Law This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Momma’s lies strut
click-click-click
like black high-heel shoes.
And you can tell
she’s made up her mind
once and for all.
Superman style.
Daddy says she’s brittle
like New York City
Tucked
away under the first of December.
Let her be.
Let Momma be.
’cause Momma’s
got ghosts
Snippin’ at her words!
Eyes gray as the Titanic child
sunk in the
Atlantic’s abyss.
God never lies
and Momma lives under
The Jesus Christ
Law.
She’s moppin’ up
penniless bridges,
Stuck
in 5th Avenue’s quicksand.
Daddy’s dropping the
car keys off
with those
black and white piano keys
tap dancing
along hobo’s street.
Meet his
mustache
in a grimace.
sizzle under the icy sand.
Momma’s sinking
without
Daddy’s car keys.
She’s bowling a
one-way ticket
to Alice and Wonderland city.
Strut in those high-heel shoes.
Daddy’s not going
anywhere.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the January 2008 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

willagrace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 23, 2013 at 8:40 am
This is - woah. I bookmarked this, and I got back to every other day or so because - god. This is just absolutely amazing. I have to admit, it's sort of bittersweet for me to read; my relationship with my parents is on strange standing, and so is my parents relationship with each other, and this is just - wow. Makes me think of my family if maybe we all hated each other a little less. Great rhythm, great word choice - I feel like this would be beautiful spoken aloud. Abs... (more »)

CarrieElizabeth said...
Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:20 am
I honestly don't quite understand this poem. While it is vivid with imagery, I can't seem to find a solid focus anywhere within it. Maybe I'm overlooking some hidden meaning, but all through your text I was racking my brain trying to find a way to validate some of the lines and trying to find a way to connect them all together. I did really enjoy your imagery, however. Especially where you talk about being stuck in 5th avenue's quicksand. That has so much deeper meaning! Great jo... (more »)

Lilliana H. said...
Amazing. Reminds me of my mother. Or thats just how I want to relate it to me life. You seem so observative!

DancingInTheRaen said...
I absolutely love this. It's super fun to read aloud! It's sharp and tasty all the way around. One of the best poems I've read!

Alexandra H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2009 at 7:12 am
brilliant

vivaeno said...
Feb. 20, 2009 at 3:34 am
This would be a great poem to perform...like slam poetry!

LexyP said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:56 am
This poem is so true of family, and truth.

Stormy15 said...
I really don't understand what is happening in this poem, it's kinda just everywere and it really does'nt just focuse on one thing and all though that may make some people think that it makes it intense, it really does'nt it just means that they don't truly know what your trying to express,because there are alot of ways that this could be going and i'm not even sure that one of the ways a saw it was right and i'm just not truly sure that you got what you wanted to say in poem,

Peace seeker said...
Dec. 22, 2008 at 1:16 am
I really just don't understand this poem maybe you should try to make it more clear what you are talking about cause this just really isent clear to me ;)

K.M.H. said...
I love the rhythm of this poem.

A.K. Neary said...
That is a wonderful poem!

DanieDelirium' said...
Sept. 26, 2008 at 3:32 am
this is really good. I love the details. I can feel the writers emotions. I love it.