Traces of Summer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Before the official days of summer began
I went back to the place where you carved our names into a dead log with your old pocket knife
The log that lay just beside the water's edge overlooking a grassy hill
I ran my fingers over the rigid bark and the jagged letters of your name
I remember the days felt so long then, and we were unstoppable
This would be the first of many summers apart
And I find myself questioning whether things will ever be the same, again
I stand here for several minutes, eyes closed, as if trying to hear your voice through the carving
But all I can hear is the passing of the gurgling river as it continues on its course down the mountain

PoetLaureate07 said...
Feb. 15, 2010 at 10:08 am
It's soo pretty... it makes me want to cry.... try checking out some of my stuff under PoetLaureate..... I think you may be able to relate!!!

Crossingmyfingers said...
I totally loved this; it reminds me of all the times I feel nostalgic. You wrote beautifully, and I hope you always keep those memories close and remember them with a smile.

Yvonne32This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow... this is so amazing. By far one of the best compositions I've read. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm sure they're looking down from heaven, smiling at the thought of your beautiful memory

Meg R. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
wow thankyou so much, that means alot. all of these comments do =)

**talia** This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm sorry for your loss. They're well remebered in this.