Preservation of Grace: The Titanic | Teen Ink

Preservation of Grace: The Titanic

By mitter5 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
mitter5 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Nothing is so insufferable to man as to be completely at rest, without passions, without business, without diversion, without study. He then feels his nothingness, his forlornness, his insufficiency, his dependence, his weakness, his emptiness. There will immediately rise from the depth of his heart weariness, gloom, sadness, fretfulness, vexation, despair.
Blaise Pascal

Where in time is it said that woe should befall so many?
That the giants must fall farthest and hardest
Grandeur smelted into steel, furnished, burnished, to form a keel
Impenetrable and stolid as a diamond, created from dreams to provide a voyage
Elegance crafted in each grand chamber

Extravagant and brilliant, unmatched a true awe inspiring wonder of the world
Set sail on a maiden voyage never to go any further
A beacon, a gem, an incorruptible glisten on the horizon as the sun set towards a fateful dusk
A glow of crimson, an omen aloft upon the fading sky

The great white hand that rose out to claim so many
Frigid and shadowed like a razor
The Indestructible cast asunder in illimitable loss
A multitude of shouts in the unforgiving chill

Memories as voluminous as the stars that watched from the heavens, lost in a heartbeat of the earth
Heart piercing cries from the abandoned whom the world could not save
Mans frugal attempt at immortality once again rebuffed in the most brutal fashion
Reminiscence shows that there are still forces greater than we are in this world

Dreams broken like the pristine surface of the windless ocean
The black abyss stared like soulless eyes from the unrelenting fathoms
And the ship enveloped like the embrace of Death
The ripples reverberated across the arctic surface before only a whisper spoke in the air no longer audible to the breathing world

The remnants sank into the lonesome rush of the tide, lost with the tides of time
What came as shock, soon became numb, sorrows fade as an everlasting slumber settles to the weary travelers
Slipping to the depths to lay unseen all things fall

Unattainable leagues separate it from the unreached home, its harbor, its true sanctuary
The evanescent skeleton laid bare to the ocean, preserved in the infinite twilight of the deep
Among the purity and ruin fish move, ignorant to the history that transpired
Moss covers the hull, the walls, the deck fore and aft, proving again with its enigmatic messages that all things must end
Like a candle fluttering, before the inevitable quenching of the fiery life never to be forgotten