Being a Kid

Crying because of the toe in my sock
Laughing ten seconds later
Being too blunt for my own good
Fibbing left and right
“I didn't take the cookie!”
The cookie in my hand
Throwing a tantrum when it's time to go to bed
Dead asleep in a matter of minutes

Growing up-
They say it happens
But why then are there days when
I feel two and four and six?
Why are there days when
I feel like crying
For no apparent reason
Days when I need to be tucked in
And sung a familiar tune
I'm growing up, so they say
But sometimes
I feel like I'm growing down

Sophia said...
Feb. 11 at 3:24 pm:
Hello! I'm entering a large group speech contest this month, and I was wondering if I could have permission to read your poem? My topic is childhood and growing up, and I think this would be perfect. I can be sure to credit you with your name if you're interested. Let me know!  Sophia 

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This poem is so cute and so touching! Great job! I love it! You picked out just the right details to include in the first stanza! Not only do they make the reader laugh, but many of us can relate to them. In addition, the second stanza is phrased nicely and is moving, especially the last two lines.

no1butherself said...
May 19, 2010 at 8:34 am:
i completely agree with the last two verses. describes me perfectly.

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 9:21 am:

Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I've been lagging in reading all of your work and commenting, but I plan to look at it very, very soon! Thanks again,

~Sofia~

Peanut:) said...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 3:56 pm:
sharp, fresh, and so, so true. You put it perfectly and I loved it!

Sunshineyday said...
I can really relate to this. as the youngest in my family, I have to 'grow up' last. I stand pretty much alone in age, even though i'm only four years behind the second-to-last sibling, It's like I'm in a whole nother age realm. I feel like this sometimes. good job, and I usually don't give non-ryhming poems the time of day, but this was nice.

i'mreal said...
This was really good....seriously....great! keep writing. i loved it :)

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:42 am:
Incredible... I can relate so much to this.

Sar27 said...
the second stanza was fantastic

Yoodle15 said...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 10:19 am:
I <3 the phrase "I feel like growing down". Great poem about the nostalgia of growing up =)

Hallow said...
Nostalgia bomb for sure. I love it. Give Bright Eyes a listen.

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is such a cute poem and remind me of the good ole days. I especially loved the part where the kid is holding the cookie and saying he didn't have the cookie. I did that too many times to count.

EdytD said...
Fabulous! I loved that last line - I definitely feel the same way often! Grea graphic imagery, and a strong topic that many can relate to. On the second paragraph, though, you could add some images of an older child, still acting like a younger one - images of a tantrum, of tears, of the cozy bedcovers.

Jennax3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Interesting concept! Well written, too. I agree with whoever said it should be called "Growing Down." It's more mysterious :] Amazing job!

Hi, (from the author) thank you everyone for your comments- I really appreciate them.I've really enjoyed looking at your writing as well (I hope I've commented on everyone's). Thank you also to lizzyd310- I really like "growing down" better as a title- wish I'd thought of it! :)

Elizabeth D. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 8, 2009 at 2:16 am:
WOW nice job...I'm really impressed by this. I'm amazed that your work isn't published. By the way, just a word of advice..maybe the poem could be called growning down? its a less obvious title. Don't give up you really have talent

SnehaChatterjeeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:20 am:
Hi! this one's also very amazing n unique!!!...n plz can u tell me wht u think of my poems....well no that was just an article I tried 2 write in a different way n so I thought that it wudn't come under the poetry section...anyways, thank u.

Like*Whoa!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2009 at 4:12 pm:
:)awww, thats really cute, ive always thought about that but never known how to express it, you did it perfectly GREAT job
<3

iWrite said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 3:10 am:
Very nice =D I like it. I wish I were a kid again, Being a senior in high school is going to suck lol

<3::wish4wings::<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19, 2009 at 4:22 pm:
i loveee it! you commented mine, so i wanted to see some of yours. its really good:)