My Purpose | Teen Ink

My Purpose

By KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana
KatieBee723 SILVER, Gretna, La 70056, Louisiana

Your inspiration will lie within me for millions, although I only knew you for nine years.

Overwhelmed with sadness this month, I remember your jokes that brought many to cheers.

Though you were as big as the door frame, your heart and strength always seemed greater. 

Whether you were helping me with math or spelling, you were always a great navigator.

You taught me how to do the thing that I loved and to have hope even at a great cost.  

Even to this day, I miss our great couch talks and still bear your unforgettable loss. 

The scent of Shake n’ Bake pork chops always filled the air once you came from the dealership.

I am still thankful and remember your great lessons of being a team player and of stewardship. 

I had mixed emotions when I found out about your cancer two days before you died. 

However, I now realize you wanted me to be free of excuses in order to stride. 

I miss doing our things, whether that be me wear your big shirts or watching the Saints game.

Now, those lonely moments without you do not have the same exclaim. 

As morning turns into night and back into day, I hope to become someone that you are proud of.

I hope and strive everyday to prove this to myself and be a person that you and I could both love.

A trip in your closet seems like a stroll down memory lane with the NB shoes and the LSU wear.

My greatest treasures lie within and are now the special traditions that Nick and I share.

From goofy Christmas cards to watching Shrek on replay, we still cherish every memory.

However, the one I miss the most cannot be replayed and come by anyone else’s delivery.  

Your constant want to make me happy, your bright smile, and your love was always a surplus. 

So I give thanks to you for today, tomorrow, and yesterday for giving me my eternal purpose.

I wrote this as an ode to my dad for his birthday this year.