My Future Vignette | Teen Ink

My Future Vignette

By HaydenKaneWHS BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
HaydenKaneWHS BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

Time is like liquid. It’s always changing, and what was the present is now the past. What the future holds is mysterious, but at one time it will also be the present, and then the past. It’s hard to “live in the present” when the present itself could be a decade, or a single nanosecond. The future, however, is as far away as you would like it to be.

In my future, I have a family. Ideally, I can continue to get good grades in high school and go to the college that I want after I graduate. I’ll go for a robotics and electrical engineering degree, before continuing on to get my Masters, then Doctorate, and eventually PhD. I’ll work at a job that I love, where I can make the world a better place and earn enough money where my wife will only have to work if she wants to, and my children can go to college without worrying about the weight of student loans.

Most people retire at around 65. I don’t think I would be able to do that. The thought of sitting around and watching TV all day makes me shudder. I think that I will work until I physically can’t anymore. Besides, the more money I can leave for my kids and grandkids, the better. I think I want to stay living in New England. Although growing up with a condo in Laconia has spoiled me into wanting a lake house on the same Lake Winnipesaukee that I grew up swimming in.  

All these are hopes and dreams. I like to think that they’re reasonable and attainable. But the future is as liquid as the rest of time. One day your destiny could be a roll of the dice, and the next be set in stone until it becomes the present, and eventually, the past.

This Vignette reflects my dreams for the future and some thoughts on time itself