Gravitone Delle Mie Poesie (Graviton of My Poems) | Teen Ink

Gravitone Delle Mie Poesie (Graviton of My Poems) MAG

May 21, 2019
By abhilipsa BRONZE, Bhubaneswar, Other
abhilipsa BRONZE, Bhubaneswar, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

-Mary Oliver


Every time my ten-year-old cousin trips over her own feet, she blames the floor.

She kicks it as hard as possible while her furious face juxtaposes with the cold marble.

I know she will wrong me before I correct her with logic and science because she inherited the obstinacy from me.

Before bed, I tell her a story about that time when she coiled around my leg while I fought the grist of bees.

She tells me the queen bee loved maple leaves until I tried to kill her with one. “Does trauma taste better than honey to you, now?”

Her anxious eyes speak to me “Is it because of the viscosity?”

 

I thought stories were meant to be lulling.

 

So I tell her about the said legacy of our family, about the infamous Alexandria’s genesis.

“Would you want to give up all your mahogany shaded hair for purple eyes?” I ask.

She tries to scream [a No!] but her voice breaks, seized by a narrative impulse,

She asks if she could have them both, with a loud “Tell me all about it. Tell me how surprised everybody would be on a scale of you to me.”

I tell all about it, the inevitable terror of yet another genetic mutation,

The changing eye color, from gray, to blue, to deep purple, to royal purple and then to a certain violet-blue.

Sometimes, a tremendous disappointment, other times, a painless memory. She calls it breathtaking,

But she doesn’t want me to speak of the fear and alienation that would follow.

 

She sips hot cocoa from my mug.

 

I think of a way to escape before the little one drives me insane. I take her to the garden in our yard,

Soft stillness and moonlight evenly spread. We hear waterfalls in the middle of the city.

I hold a jasmine steady for my wise beige girl while she slaps it into garish red, purple, black and yellow, changing hands and frames of reference.

“Quantum?” I imagine discrete energy packets proportional to the frequency of its radiation.

“Quarks?” I think, imagining hadrons disintegrating and gyrating about a fixed point. My mind swims around,

In all the terms she’d seen in my book the previous day.

 

Next morning, I drop her at school. She says she is afraid of atoms and subatomic particles.

“Aren’t those too mighty big words for dots and circles?” Nothing remains to be said.

 

I am all that is left behind, with an “Addio, arrivederci.”

 

I proceed to go to my school but I think I’ll never be gone. Our new school captain is a boy I used to like.

Now, I see him pinning girls against the walls of abusive love, intertwining his fingers with their curls, helically.

I can only visualize electrons falling into a nucleus, my atoms collapsing against my will.

There is no electrostatic force, no gravity to keep my words intact. Circles and dots are fearsome and I wish there was an easy analogy.

At home I lie on my bed with the small of my scarred back. It isn’t something we inherit,

It’s what we are rewarded. My cousin is safe at school … most likely, demonstrating fluency in her broken Italian;

So I try not to [over]think how loud cries resonate faster than the sound of gunfire. I only think of a molecule,

An atom, a quantum and the graviton of my poems. A parrot screeches,

And I recall … sound is a mechanical wave, an emblem for apprehension and struggle.


The author's comments:

Abhilipsa S. is a seventeen year-old full-time student and feminist, part-time poet from India, who loves to scoop ice-cream when not indulged in an avid reading. Currently, her favourite poets are Sylvia Plath, Edgar Allan Poe, Maya Angelou, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Eve L. Ewing, Agha Shahid Ali, and Safia Elhillo. 

"Gravitone Delle Mie Poesie" is a prose-poem which could be unlocked after a short conversation about my day with my auntie. The conversation has a deeper meaning, with regard to how a teenager today oscillates between studies, art, literature, peers, abusive love, sacrifice, terrorism and other struggles, some of which are not suitable for a tender age. Moreover, explaining the struggles to a younger sibling with an even tender heart, and greater curiosity, has been attempted by the help of science and metaphorical use of atomic and subatomic particles.