Where I’m from | Teen Ink

Where I’m from

By Euphy123 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Euphy123 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

You get what you want by earning it.

I came from a predictable family

Which seemed to make me predictable.

I’ve been molded into a person,

Maybe good, maybe not to others

Nonetheless misunderstood by everyone.

I came from perfectionists

And over-achievers who

Can only accept the taste of victory.

I came from hours and hours of working

Up late just to finish my work, no

Matter the quality.

I am not the perfectionists,

Or the over-achievers.

I am happy.

I wrote this poem with a lot of enjambement, because it shows how I as a person left a lot of things incomplete. I started a lot of different activities and almost reached a competitive level in most of them before quitting them. Everyone was upset when I did this, but I never enjoyed doing those activities. I really enjoy doing one thing: music. This is why I used a lot of enjambement in my poem. It shows how we may be perfect at activities, but we don't enjoy them. I didn't use any rhyme scheme in my poem, because it shows imperfection. The fact that there is no rhyme shows that we might not be perfect at what we do, but we enjoy what we do. I do not do many common musical activities, such as piano or guitar. However, I do play some different instruments like the tuba and the euphonium, which is what I personally enjoy. Other people can over-achieve in what they may not enjoy as much, but I am happy with what I do, because I do it with my heart, not my mind. My parents and friends used to always tell me to do what I am best at. By quitting all of the activities that I was shown to be good at but didn’t like to do, they’ve realized that there is an intersection point between talent and enjoyment, and that point must be found.