What Comes From the Womb | Teen Ink

What Comes From the Womb

April 29, 2009
By Anonymous

My smile is painted on, cut and pasted into the flesh, as if I’m the Joker.
I’m questioned in a desolate room with walls padded by a mother’s under-toned touch.
As I melt from the water, she throws a missing link.
I know not whether to stay afloat or live on the vessel beside her.
I’m a bird losing feathers in mid flight, feeling the air in places that others have filled.
The feathers plucked by someone bigger than myself.
I know I feel.
I need wind beneath my wings not the tousled feathers ridden with experience.
I need to regenerate.
The walls never come down.
No matter how much light is shed upon a wilted flower, it will never feel the sensations of the sun.
I want, I need, and I hope.
When they portray the conscience in film, they do not tell you the angel is the blood and the devil is the heart.
I do not wish for the smooth boulevard but for the rugged mountain of heartbreak.
It’s amazing how letters can form a disease.
Its home is in my brain, collecting dust waiting for the inconceivable cure.
I do not show how I feel. Thoughts are weakness and words are strength. I speak what I mean and think what I know. I am me. I am interconnected.
My vital systems read the minds of the stripped and joyous souls. I can decipher my gut feeling beyond what others read of my pages.
I do not need things to be happy.
Just the knowledge that others are gives me hope that it is achievable.
I have smelled the unchartered territory. If I am to be let loose again, I will wage war on all others who seek the green pastures and sugary horizons.
I am my mother’s child, not my mother.
I need the water beneath my wings, not above my drowning figure.
I am a different bird with different hopes and yearn for a harder path.
I’m ready for the adventure no matter how long it takes.
I want to face the desert storm with beaming eyes and an open heart.
I will pass with shooting stars and clear sky fireworks.
I will get there and when I do…I won’t be pretending.