Remember When | Teen Ink

Remember When

By Julie Holtzman BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Julie Holtzman BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Elaine –
Remember when we spent our weekend nights together?
We would take our dinner trays and our drinks and watch a movie on the television? Excitedly, we would watch the monthly Disney channel movie that was airing for the first time.
Remember when we stayed up late watching Iron Chef because you had dreams of becoming a cook yourself?
Remember when we stupidly glued fake nails on with superglue and mom had a fit?
Although we had the worst time trying to take them off, we were giggling and laughing the whole way through.
Remember when we would go and jump on the neighbors’ trampoline, uncontrollably laughing until our stomachs hurt?
Remember when we would wrestle with dad in the front yard until he had tickled us silly and we could go on no more?
Then, we would look up in the sky and time would stand still, as I hoped all of our sweet moments would.

But, we never do this anymore and I wonder why.
Now you are away at college and I spend my weekends preoccupied with friends.
I wonder, “Will I ever get these days back with my sister?”
I sometimes want to rewind ten years and have one last chance to spend every waking second together, sharing secrets and living carelessly.
I plan our activities in my head, yet those dreams never become reality.
Please take one last weekend to ask me to stay up late with you and eat a TV dinner while we gaze up at the television.
Please ask me so I will not grow up questioning, “What happened to the weekend nights alone with my sister?”