Promise | Teen Ink

Promise

April 22, 2009
By Ciera Gentry BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Ciera Gentry BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You promise to love yourself and to wait till you find love.
One guy, who captured you the moment he laid eyes on you, stole your heart.
You pray and you wait for him to realize you two are made for each other.
A dream now has become a reality.

However, the dream you have wanted for so long, is now taking another turn.
You work hard and you dedicate yourself to your work, school, and extracurricular activities.
Now all of that, including the guy that means so much to you, are clashing.
Unbalanced.

He constantly tells you those three words you have been waiting to hear for so long.
You think everything is so perfect, but situations start to shift.
He starts to ask for more than what you are willing to give.
You’re dedicated to him and everything else you have going on in your life.
As time goes by, he still tries to change your mind, but you don’t give in.
In the end, you two are no more. No longer together, no longer an “us.”

You wonder if you’re wrong for standing up for yourself, but you know that’s not true.
Now you are alone, but not completely.
You have your strength,
the love of your family and friends,
and your promise.
Kept.


The author's comments:
This piece is something that took me a while to write. i had went through alot of difficult situations that encouraged me to write this piece.