Should eSports be Considered an Olympic Sport? | Teen Ink

Should eSports be Considered an Olympic Sport?

By thsu22 BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
thsu22 BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other

According to Newzoo, the leading provider of market intelligence of eSports, “‘eSports is the biggest thing to hit the tech industry since the iPhone in 2007’” (Young).

Ever since I first played video games I wanted to be a professional gamer. I wanted to be able to show to the world that I am one of the best players in the world, but all the adults say when I tell them this is, “Video games are a hobby and something that is not good for you”, and everytime they say that I think to myself
No! eSports should be considered a sport in the Olympics!

Even I, who play as much games as Romeo loves Juliet, am not good at it. It requires a lot of training to be able to become a professional eSports player. Everytime I watch pros play I’m always in awe on how they are able to flick from one side of the screen to the other side so quickly and accurately.

Not only does eSports only require training like other sports, it is also becoming popular all around the world (Mailonline). According to CNN, audiences around the world for eSports has increased by 88 million people in just two years. The global revenue also increased by 269 million dollars, which is a 239% increase (Young)! Another big milestone for eSports is on Twitch, a website which livestreams games, the views of League of Legends championship game beat the views of the NBA finals which was broadcasted on the ABC (Theory)! How can you not include this SPORT in the Olympics when it brings more views than many other big sports?

Also, many people (old people, not judging, but parents and teachers) still argue that eSports does not have any physical movement, or anything to do with “sports”. This is the argument in all articles arguing that eSports is not a sport but I still don’t get how you can think moving your fingers, arm, and multitasking at very high levels is not a “sport” (Chase). Esports is something you have to have a lot of practice and talent to be able to play at a very high level (Theory).You have to be able to do many things at once, like for example in CS:GO, a fps or for people who don’t play video games, a first person shooter game, you have to be able to aim, control the spray of the gun, talk to teammates, and look at the map, economy, and many other things that are important and will contribute to your team’s victory.

If all these facts still don’t convince you that esport is a sport and should be included in the olympics then nothing would. Esports is a new era. Esport is blowing up and still growing at an incredible speed. Esports will become one of the biggest events in the Olympics. As one of the leading players, Olof Kajbjer, in the eSports industry, Olof Kajbjer stated,say “In 10 years it [eSports] will be as big as the NFL”(Young).