Why Not A Football Degree? | Teen Ink

Why Not A Football Degree?

The proposal focuses on corruption with sports and academics within the university and the NCAA the author finds that the rules and regulations within the NCAA needs to be further reassessed. He described that most of these problems that will be mentioned are forced upon by the NCAA. Money has been a huge issue with sports teams and colleges and the author stated that directors, coaches, and even athletes. Today most colleges add incentives and bribery to get a talented athlete to come to their school and play for their program, so the author came up with three solutions to ensure that athlete success on and off is prioritized. The first solution the author comes up is to create a four-year program in football, or basketball. If an athlete wants to become a professional within the physical education departments, art, music, for example, the athlete can acquire college credit for participating in their fields and become a professional within their own major. It is the same as being professionals in a professional business setting, for example a physical therapist. If a physical therapist gets to school to learn about his or her career, and receives college credit for his/her studying, why can’t a football/basketball player do the same? Some may argue that football and basketball, does not work out for most and there are not a lot of “space” for these kinds of majors in the workforce. The author is very generous and persuasive in his writings concerning the individuals who are student athletes. He supports every claim that he made, which is very true, however I do not think his ideas/solutions are suitable of those demands from the NCAA to consider.