Why LeBron Isn't the G.O.A.T. | Teen Ink

Why LeBron Isn't the G.O.A.T.

By DonVon BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
DonVon BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Now many people have their own opinions on what they think makes you the G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time) in basketball. Some pay attention to stats, some pay attention to rings, some pay attention to just how many points you can drop a game, and some pay attention to how well you orchestrate a basketball team whenever you are on the floor. How ever if you want to be honest. What I pay attention to however is simply just your all around skill. How well you can do all aspects of the game.

The three main things you have to be able to do very well to consider yourself an elite player in the port of basketball is simple. You have to be able to consistantly hit a jump shot, dribble the ball very well, and play solid defense. Well there goes Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant for you people. Both extremely talented at hitting those jump shot especially when they count. They both can handle the ball very well and that’s do to the fact that they have extremely humongous hands.Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t no freak of nature ball handlers doing all of these crazy streetball moves and having people falling all over the place, they just dribbled good enough to get by you and you couldn’t steal it. Last but not least, they were great defenders. Michael Jordan in fact one a defensive player of the year award, so that just shows how well he can lockdown even the most elite offensive threats.

Now don’t get me wrong or take this as if i am taking credit, because i do believe that Lebron is definitely top 10 in greatest of all time, but i just don’t think he is the greatest of all time. In fact, i find it disrespectful to call him the greatest of all time. Now  we can just go off of the 3 simple things, shooting, dribbling and defense. Lebron has never, ever been known to be a great jump shooter, ever. I mean out of 10 shots in a game, he’ll be able to give you a nice 4 or 5, if he’s hot, he might even give you 6 or , but anything higher than that, not at all. Lebron however does have a pretty nice turn around post fader that is pretty consistant, but just facing your defenders, staring them eye to eye, and then rising up for a mid- ranger and knocking it down right your defenders face, is not his game however. Having him wait on the arch to knock down a catch and shoot 3 pointer with even a defender in his face isn’t within his attributes either. Even though he tries so hard to make it seem like he is a gifted jump shooter.

Now if there is one thing that I know for sure that LeBron isn’t good at, is ball handling. LeBron is just extremely big and strong which gives him the ability to blow by his defenders very easily, but it definitely isn’t his ball handling skills. In fact the last I saw LeBron trying to size someone up, he lost his handle and then got it stolen. All though he for some reason is always bringing the ball up the floor, he should leave the ball handling and sizing people up to players like Isaiah Thomas, Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, and any of the other guards who can actually control the ball on the team. You however are not one of them.

Now however LeBron his a great defender, that is if he is coming up behind you, while your driving to  the basket. His on ball defense however is debatable. Well at least agaisnt Stephen Curry it is. This is the part where all LeBron fans start to get offended, but lets be honest, we can’t forget about when Curry drove right, turned around to re set but quickly faked right, stepped back pump faked hesitation, drove left and finished at the rack with the right handed layup on LeBron. We can also talk about the time Kobe Bryant started right on Lebron just to spin left, charge left just to rise up and nail the fall away jumper for the game. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a terrific player, but just not the greatest of all time.