Hockey Lessons | Teen Ink

Hockey Lessons

I’ve been playing hockey for a very long time, almost ten years. I started skating when I was four years old and started playing hockey once I was six. Over all the years I’ve played not only have I become a better hockey player, but I’ve also become a better person. Hockey has taught me a lot of important life skills that can be applied off the ice, one of them being commitment. Once you’rer on a hockey team you have to dedicate your time to the game and devote your free time to getting better. For example there was one point when I was putting forward 14 hours a week in to hockey. This has really taught me to stay with things and not give up. Another important life skill I have obtained from playing hockey is patience. You don’t simply become a better player over night. Like I stated in my last point hockey takes a lot of time and a lot of hard work to get better. Right now I have to wake up at 4:30 am every Wednesday to practice with my team. Since hockey takes up so much of my day I have also improved when it comes to time management. Balancing school and hockey isn’t easy, but, is has taught me a lot about how to efficiently use my time and get things done on time.

Critical thinking is another aspect of my life that hockey has had a jurassic impact on. Hockey is the fastest moving sport there is which means your brain has to be moving just as fast if you want to keep up. The puck can go as fast as 100 miles an hour and if you're not keeping up and paying attention you’ll get lit up.It requires you to make split second decisions and evaluate what’s going on around you at all times. Outside of hockey this has helped be more prompt and think a lot faster which is helpful at school when you’re constantly getting information thrown at you and can easily be left behind. Hockey also plays a role in improving my behavior and discipline. If I get angry and let my emotions take control during a game I’ll likely take a penalty. Not only does that effect me but it also hurts my team. This leads me to my next point about teamwork. If  one person on a team messes up it can have an impact on everyone else. On the other hand, if some on my team makes a great play it benefits my whole team. It can result in goals, opportunities for goals, or even just get the team hyped up and motivated. This has improved my group work skills and made me realize that I always have to put in as much work as I can when working in a group. All in all, hockey has played a very big role in my life outside of the rink and continues to teach me more valuable life skills.

This piece of writing came about from from my identity map project. My identity map revolved around hockey so I used that in my draft as well. I want my readers to be able see where I am coming from and understand how these ideas and life skills can stem from playing hockey. I made that happen by providing vague examples of how it helped me develop these important skills. I want to however, provide more examples into this piece. I could use some help recognizing where I should provide more example and where my examples are sufficient. To help me with this piece I read through most of the mentor texts provided and tried to write in a similar style. I mainly used “A Lesson Not Learned” by Carol Sherman-Jones. She related her personal experiences to lessons she learned from them, and I tried to do the same thing.

Most of the advice I received from my readers related to being more specific. I’m glad I was able to get help noticing where i need to be more specific because I couldn't decide by myself. I tried to be more specific by adding in more details. I also achieved this by adding in examples from my personal experiences like Carol Sherman-Jones did in my mentor text.