2018 Super Bowl Champions | Teen Ink

2018 Super Bowl Champions

June 8, 2017
By Rishi_Dalal BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Rishi_Dalal BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The team that never fails to surprise, the team that always excites, and the team that is known as America’s team is the Dallas Cowboys. In the 2016-2017 season, the rookie sensations comprised of Offensive Rookie of the Year Winner, Dak Prescott, and the 2016 season rushing leader, Ezekiel Elliott, led their team to a remarkable record of 13-3. However, they came up just short in their first playoff game against the Green Bay Packers, as they lost 31-34. Though the Cowboys did lose, they succeeded to show sparks of greatness, as their franchise is now on the rookies’ shoulders. The Dallas Cowboys will win the 2018 Super Bowl due to their talented draft scouting, Dak Prescott’s “hot hand”, and Ezekiel Elliott’s repeat season.
       

The past several years, the Cowboys have turned draft picks into stars. Since 2010, Dez Bryant, Sean Lee, Demarco Murray, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, Dak Prescott, and Ezekiel Elliott have all been named to at least one pro bowl (“Dallas Cowboys Draft History”), a game where the top players from each conference play against each other. Though only one of these players, Sean Lee, is on the defensive side of the field, they answered their need to strengthen this part of the roster by their 2017 draft picks of Taco Charlton (DE), Chidobe Awuzie (CB), and Jourdan Lewis (CB). Furthermore, first-round talent of Jaylon Smith (LB) has yet to take the field after missing his entire rookie season. By slowly rebuilding their team, the Cowboys transformed a mediocre group into a young, star-studded lineup primed and hungry to win a super bowl.


Rookie of the Year Dak Prescott had an astounding rookie year. According to “Passing Statistics”, Prescott had a quarterback rating (QBR), a statistic that measures the performance of quarterbacks, of 104.9. Aaron Rodgers, with a QBR of 104.1, holds the record for career QBR, as of the start of the 2016 season. Dak Prescott has already surpassed Aaron Rodgers’ record as a rookie; meaning that according to this algorithm, a debate can be made that Dak Prescott is the best QB ever to play! Furthermore, in 2016, Dak Prescott was third in the league for QBR only trailing behind the Most Valuable Player (MVP) winner, Matt Ryan, and 5-time Super Bowl Champion, Tom Brady. With the Cowboys’ outstanding offensive line and versatile receiving core only improving, he will have yet another miraculous year and be in the talk of MVP for the 2017-2018 season.


Ezekiel Elliott led the league in rushing yards in 2016, with 1,631 yards (“Ezekiel Elliott Career Stats”), behind the Offensive Line of the Year. As a candidate for MVP, he devastated defenses with an average of 5.1 yards per carry (ypc). Jamaal Charles, with an average of 5.5 ypc, holds the record for most ypc in a career (Stuart); Ezekiel Elliott is third on that list. With the ability to run in man and zone schemes, run with a fullback, block for the quarterback, and catch like a receiver against any defense, Ezekiel Elliott is one of the most feared backs in the league. Alongside three pro-bowl offensive linemen to pave the path, Ezekiel Elliott will become the rushing leader once again for back-to-back years.
       

The Cowboys’ 2016 season fell apart after a heartbreaking field goal to end the game. However, they will only become better from here on out. Preparing to prove their fans right, that moment will provide motivation to practice harder and enhance their skills. By turning draft prospects into proven stars and receiving another historical season from the duo of Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott, it is clear the Dallas Cowboys will be victorious in the 2018 Super Bowl.


The author's comments:

I love the Cowboys, I watch every single one of their games. I truly believe that they have the potential to win the 2018 Super Bowl over all the other 31 teams.