Why Teens Should Play Sports | Teen Ink

Why Teens Should Play Sports

December 5, 2016
By WritingMogul BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
WritingMogul BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."-Tim Tebow


“Children can acquire important life lessons from [competitive] activities… such as, bouncing back from a loss.” I believe that competitive sports help develop exceptional character in youth.


A big problem our generation faces is that we melt away in fear when we don’t get our way. Anne Josephson, in her blog, “Fifteen Reasons Competitive are Great for Kids,” writes, “Competition teaches us to cope when things don’t go our way.” This quote shows that kids who are involved in competitive sports are more versatile when they are presented with a situation that demands them to adjust to their surroundings.


“Competition builds self esteem,” according to Anne Josephson. Competition could address the problem we have of thinking, “I’m not pretty enough,” or “I am not cool enough.” If more teens have higher self esteem and confidence in who they are, teen depression and suicide rates could decrease.


However, if a situation demands more than a teen is able to do, the teen may become frustrated and lose their self-esteem. More teens should play competitive sports, but they and their parents must remember that the sport is only a game and must be treated as such.


“[Most] of the evidence highlights long-term benefits for kids who play competitive sports,” writes Hilary Friedman in her article, “The Impact of Competitive Youth Sports on Children.” If most of the evidence points to the benefits of kids playing sports, then I believe more teens should play sports. The exceptional character that comes with playing sports is just an added bonus with the fun of playing sports.