Dance Is Not a Sport | Teen Ink

Dance Is Not a Sport

October 6, 2016
By KaylieW BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
KaylieW BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Dance is not a sport”

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you didn’t warm up or stretch before a big game? Dancers do for sure with performing. You could certainly get severely hurt if you didn’t prepare yourself correctly just like any other sport, such as football and basketball. This essay is about how people claim things about dance, that are not necessarily true. Mostly everyone thinks that dance is just tutus and tap shoes. Some people say that dance is not a sport, but it is because dance is just as physically demanding as other sports.


My first reason why dance is a sport is the most straightforward and clear. It is that dance may not be football or basketball but it is just as physically demanding as they are It also takes the same amount of work and time. The definition of sport is the following, “An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment” (Oxford Dictionaries). This shows that dance is a sport because it is an activity that involves physical exertion and skill with a team or solo that competes.


Another reason is that individuals with disabilities participate in dance as a sport. Other activities such as football, baseball, and basketball are unquestionably dangerous for them. It is also harder for them to comprehend. To the people with the disabilities they like to think dance as a physical way of doing art. “It is also very therapeutic for their minds” (INAL, Competitive dance for individuals with disabilities) This is saying that it is like physical therapy for them but in a more unique way that they enjoy more. So, let them enjoy something that they like and call it a sport.


My final reason why dance is a sport is that it has the same components as other sports. “To be able to dance well, one needs to be flexible, strong, have stamina, have endurance and most importantly have a love for what they do” (Garecht, Is Dance a Sport or an Art?) This means that to be a dancer it takes the same traits and passions as other sports. Also, that you have work hard for what you love in life.  This is why dance is a sport. Some people say that dance is not a sport, but it is because dance is just as physically demanding as other sports.


Work Cited

Liu, Allison. "Beyond The Tutu." Teen Ink 26.9 (2015): 30. MAS Ultra - School Edition. Web. 3 Oct. 2016. - From EbscoHost
Inal, Serap. "Competitive Dance For Individuals With Disabilities." Palaestra 28.1 - From EbscoHost
Garecht, Jenna. “Is Dance a Sport or an Art?” Huffington Post. Web. 4 Oct. 2016 - Found on my own