Why Cheer Is a Sport | Teen Ink

Why Cheer Is a Sport

Cheerleading has a very stereotypical view for it. People think that they do nothing but scream and shout on the sidelines of high school sport games. Lots of people are annoyed by them and all they want to do is focus on the game. However, cheerleading has developed over the years and a new form of it, called all-star cheerleading has emerged.

I agree that sideline cheer is not a sport. However all-star cheerleading is. The athletes must perform a high-energy, jam packed 2:30 minute routine consisting of jumps, tumbling, stunts, and dance. It ironically does not include a “cheer” section. See, all-star cheerleaders do not actually “cheer” they are real athletes and if anything they are more like gymnasts doing a floor routine. This sport requires teamwork, passion, and most of all it is mostly mental. You must have faith in your fellow teammates and trust that they will do their jobs as you will try your best to do yours.

Many athletes have been convinced to join all-star cheer by friends. Some even admit that it is harder than the sort that they previously did. It is very demanding and hard on your body and joints, it has the highest injury rate because these athletes can't wear pads or helmets to protect them. However, if an athlete’s love for the sport is great enough then they will continue to do it.