Everything Wrong with Your Opinion About Marching Band | Teen Ink

Everything Wrong with Your Opinion About Marching Band

May 11, 2016
By Tenornerd BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
Tenornerd BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Shoot for the moon and even if you miss you'll land among the stars"


Marching band is an underestimated hobby.  The stereotype saying only nerds are in it is half true.  The claim that it's easy and requires no false is like saying High School is a disney musical. 

At least at my school we have summer camp.  One week in June and another in august. 
These camps vary around 7-9 hours.  The majority of the time in august is spent outside trying to learn drill.  For those of you who don't know, drill is the movements that the band does on the field.  Everyone has to be on a certain coordinate at a certain time in a certain form.  While playing an entire 8-11 minute show?  With in those few minutes, marchers burn 40 more calories than football players in an entire game.

Okay, so maybe we are a bunch of nerds.  Some of us overload ourselves with AP classes but others are in only honors and maybe even in regular classes.  Band brings all kinds of students from freshmen to seniors, and band is the largest club in the school.  We're all like one big family.

So for all of those who doubt us, we laugh because high school band is a one of a kind experience.


The author's comments:

Band is great