Are LEGOS Just for Children? | Teen Ink

Are LEGOS Just for Children?

Are LEGOS consider to be part of one’s childhood? The little toy bricks were created in 1958 to be viewed as a children’s toy, but many people saw it as a recommendation. Now today when people who are 15+, who do not work for LEGO in any way say that they still “play” with LEGOS, the majority of people who don’t find the bricks interesting at all think those people are childish and immature and judge them instantly. I’m one of those people who still play with LEGOS and when I publicise this to people around me that I still play with LEGOS, they stare at me blankly. So I’m wondering if LEGOS are just for children or for all ages and I’m going to find evidence that this statement is false. I’ll be considering all “angles” of this inequity and without being biased, the points will be opinions from the people against LEGOS, the people who have no comment, the people who are in favor. Finally think logically about it. “Are LEGOS just for children?”

The people who have a more unhappy mindset toward LEGOS may have a logical reason, but some might not have an argument at all. There is also a crowd who don’t have to say anything at all, but it’s the facial expression that proves their opinion on the subject. They might argue with what the person is building, whether they are small creations or impressive life-size models. This might have an impact on the disdained people’s point-of-view. For example if a LEGO fan asks someone to see their awesome creation the person might refuse or seem disinterested and this might injure the person. This happens to me when friends have interesting facial reactions to my invitation to “Build stuff”. I don’t know why some people have a “problem” with an older age audience playing with LEGOS. I’m fine with those people having their independent thoughts and ideas, but if there is nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. Now we have heard from the naysayers, so let’s hear from those that are neutral.

Now the audiences that have no comments on LEGOS still have reasons and thoughts about the situation. Maybe the people never played with LEGOS during their childhood or they never had any interest in LEGOS before. Those people could agree with either side of the disagreement but maybe want to stay quiet because they don’t want to make it worse. For others, it doesn’t matter what the situation is, the people don’t care and enough about what happens to support a certain side. I think that this is good that people have no comment about LEGOS being only for children because it shows that this isn’t a simple yes or no matter. There are many viewpoints. However the people that have no opinion might want to hear the rebellious LEGO lovers out.  

All the people who are in favor of LEGOS being for everybody have different reasons. There was a DS forums post by a Forum Member on January 3, 2005, in which she asked “Are LEGOS childish?” The responses she received were phenomenal. The reviews were very positive and supportive signaling that most people don’t have a problem with LEGOS being for all ages. For example one person replied with “Who's to say what's childish, probably people who are afraid to like something for fear of what other people will say. Start building with your Lego set if you want, there's no rules for what you shouldn't 'play with' once you reach adult stage. Even though a lot of people think that this is most likely what will happen. Ah, who cares what other people think, you do what you want“. Another favorable post by Vincent Graff posted on December 27, 2014 stated that Michael Addis and his wife Catherine have been building breathtaking creations in their own home for the past 20 years. The detail that really caught my attention was the fact they are both well into their 40’s and still have a passion for LEGOS. Since we have heard from the these three kinds of people about the subject, we can now put a logical spin on the discussion. 

Would it be reasonable for the LEGO company to make sets for children age groups listed on the box? Yes, because LEGO has made thousands of child themed sets, according to LEGO's "about us" website on February 12, 2015. LEGO has sold more children sets than adult themed sets. In addition LEGO has produced dozens of TV shows and movies such as: LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Clutch Powers, and the best LEGO animation ever produced according to Rotten Tomato critics in 2014, The Lego Movie. Even though The Lego Movie’s audience consists mostly of children, adults and aged people found that The Lego Movie was very entertaining and heartwarming. This shows that LEGOS can be for any age group. Over the past how many years the LEGO company has produced many sets that are made ideally for the older aged audience. This is because the sets can be “challenging” and “problematic” for the young- minded. For example the Tower Bridge that is based off of the London Bridge in England is very difficult to build because the innovative designs and the creative architecture make this an “expert” set. What I’m trying to prove is that not all LEGO sets are small and simple. They can be fun and challenging for adult entertainment.

If someone at age 13+ still plays with LEGOS for fun and for entertainment, there are many people who have supportive or adverse comments, and people who don’t have any opinion or observation on the subject at all. Even with many opinions on the subject, the LEGO company has been releasing different sets for all age groups. So does it really matter what other people think about someone’s LEGO hobby? I say LEGOS can be for anyone who wants to play with them.