Don’t Trade for Boogie | Teen Ink

Don’t Trade for Boogie

January 25, 2016
By jakec627 BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts
jakec627 BRONZE, Southborough, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Celtics look to be the team about to turn the corner, full of above average role players that form an elite defense in the Eastern Conference. They have been searching for years for that star player that would instantly turn their team into a contender for the East, and now that player is finally among the NBA’s most coveted franchise. They turn to superstar center, Demarcus Cousins.  Cousins is a game changer and a stat sheet stuffer, averaging 25 points and 11 rebounds this season for the Sacramento Kings.  With all the trade assets General Manager Danny Ainge has piled up over the recent years, most notably the draft picks the Celtics received from the Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett trade back in 2013, and the poor relationship between the Kings and Cousins, it seems as if their paths have crossed and it was meant for Cousins to wear green.  Wrong.

 

As talented as Cousins is, he is simply not worth the headache. The Celts have been piling trade assets such as picks and players for years, and they finally have enough to trade for a superstar.  The trade that started it all back in 2013, the Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett trade.  Danny Ainge traded two washed up superstars for the Nets’ first round picks in 2014, 2016, and 2018.  Ainge also has the right to swap picks in 2017.  The Nets’ are poor, resulting in these picks over the next few years to be towards the top of the draft.  This means the Celtics own multiple lottery picks to use as their trade assets.  Trading unestablished top picks for an already established superstar seems like a terrific idea. But, trading for Cousins would be settling for a worst case scenario. His selfish personality would ruin the chemistry the Celtics have established and the new found identity of team play the Celtics developed.  Over his years with the Kings, he has gotten coaches fired, requested for trades, and has started problems with other players on his team.  The Kings would demand more than just a few picks from the Celtics.  Potentially already rising stars like Marcus Smart would be on the trade block to attain Cousins.  All of these trade assets given up for one nut case isn’t worth it.   


The most valuable trade assets the Celtics own are: second year player Marcus Smart and the Nets’ 2016 first round pick.  Smart has the potential to develop into a great two way player as well as a star in this league, and the Kings would certainly demand him if a trade was to be done.  As well as Smart, the Nets pick would definitely be on the table for a possible trade scenario.  This pick has the potential to be a top 3 pick based on the Nets current record (Nets will finish bottom two in East).  Suppose the Celtics get the number 1 pick in the draft and pick LSU Freshman sensation Ben Simmons.  Ben Simmons is viewed as the future of the NBA with his once in a generation talent.  People have gone as far to compare him to LeBron James, Blake Griffin, and Lamar Odom.  That is pretty good company.  Simmons has lived up to the hype.  He posted a career night very early into the season dropping 43 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists, and 5 steals, and 3 blocks.  After this outstanding performance, Simmons became the only player since the Great Shaquille O’Neal to post a 43 point 14 rebound game in an LSU uniform.  Would it be worth trading two potential superstars for one who is known as a head case? Absolutely not.  


The cap space was raised to 70 mil this past offseason.  Next offseason, it is set to rise by another 20 mil.  As of now, the Celtics are below the 70 mil cap for this season.  They have enough money now to sign one max contract superstar.  By the time next season begins,  they will have room for two superstar players.  It would be in the Celtics best interest to rebuild through the draft and create a potential superstars as well as trading for established ones that aren’t the headache that Cousins is.  As far fetched as this may seem, the Celtics have a shot at signing the 2013-2014 NBA MVP Kevin Durant.  KD is viewed as one of the best scorers the league has ever seen, boasting career averages of  27.3 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists.  He reached the NBA finals in 2012 and lost to an invincible Miami Heat team.  Durant shows more leadership and experience than Cousins.  He’s been putting up gaudy numbers for almost an entire decade straight, and his teammates cannot stop to say good things about him.  Wherever Durant is, success follows.  On top of all this, he is a fan favorite.  Over the past 5 years or so, he has been in the top 3 in jerseys sales around the world.  His presence would bring Boston more global popularity, and would attribute to the big city.  With all the money the Celtics have to spend, they should go all in and pursue Durant.  A young upcoming team with loads of money should interest Durant.  They have the potential to develop young players into stars, and also sign established stars to build a potential dynasty.  With Brad Stevens as great of a coach as he is,  how could Durant not consider an offer as lucrative as this?  Without Westbrook on his team, he would be the focal point of our offense, and would also be the key man to bring the Celtics their 18th banner.  With a weaker Eastern Conference, the Celtics would instantly become a contender with Durant in his prime.
Patience in the draft and trades for draft picks or role players has paid off.  As great as a deal for Cousins seems, the Celtics should remain patient and wait for another perfect opportunity to land the a star.  Rebuilding through the draft isn’t a bad idea, with all the picks Ainge has piled up he could develop some young talent into a very dangerous team in a few years.  Or he could look to instantly turn the Celtics around by pushing for a superstar caliber player like Kevin Durant.  In the end, the future in Boston is brighter than ever, and it on Ainge to bring the Celtics back to the dominating force they once were.