Unlimited Dreams | Teen Ink

Unlimited Dreams

January 22, 2016
By Widmer BRONZE, Warden, Washington
Widmer BRONZE, Warden, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you think of a teen or young adult, what do you picture? Basketball player? Cheer leader? College bound? Whatever it is we all know that the “passionate athlete” is eventually forced out, leaving us with just college bound. I am assuming that at some point of your teenage life, you have been told or will be told, that in order to make a decent living you MUST go to college! But is this really so in all cases? What if you have different dreams? People always say “dream big” and “live your dreams”, but at what point do they start putting limits to that? As for myself, I have a very different plan for my life, and who is to say that I can’t live my dream.  
Look back to when you were in elementary school. You have little things to worry about. Then you get into middle school and your expected to start planning your life. What will you do for a living? What college are you planning on going to? Do you ever hear the question “what are your dreams” anymore? Have you stopped to think about what your dreams are? I try to live by the saying “Turn your cant’s into cans and your dreams into plans”. This quote keeps me inspired even when people doubt my abilities and say that I will never make it. My dream is to travel to Germany and be a working student for a barn, riding and training horses. Eventually, I want to compete in the Olympics and start my own barn. At this point, I will begin teaching and training horses and riders. Once I get my barn started, I plan to let people with disabilities be able to come and engage with the horses every few weeks. But what about the money? Personally, I am not as interested in money as I am doing what I love and helping others do the same. Money is only temporary, but this will last forever. Besides, it’s not like I am not going to make any money at all.


Although I don’t think college is for some people, I do believe that it is a great opportunity for others. Don’t get me wrong, college is an excellent idea, and I do plan on doing running start for my last two years of high school. But it wouldn’t make any sense to get a degree in something that I am not going to use in my career. Therefore, I will save the money to get started on my own career. The career that I want. As for my family and friends, they love and support me in my crazy ideas. When I fall down, they will be there to toss me back up, and I believe that’s what really matters right now. On the other hand, there are people that tell me to get serious. Newsflash, I am serious! Most of the doubts come from the mouths of our “creators of the future”. Teachers. I have only heard one teacher say that he thinks I will make it, and that was what I thought a true teacher was. An encourager. One who tells you that you can do anything if you work hard for it, even if they don’t agree with your plans. Not only do my friends and family have my back, but so does God. All the glory goes to and will go to him. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).


With these things in mind, go after your true dreams. No matter how crazy or stupid they may seem. Sometimes you need to stop and think about what you want to do and not what society or statistics say you need to do. Be your own statistic.