Video Games Should be a Sport | Teen Ink

Video Games Should be a Sport

January 8, 2016
By kalkuhmack BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
kalkuhmack BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ninety percent of the youths under 18 years of age play video games every day. From black ops 3 to rocket league, video games are the way of the future. Not surprising, by the time boys and girls reach the age of 21 they have spent many hours with a controller in their hands. The majority of these teens play around 10,000 hours of games a year. Comparing 10,000 hours to a typical school year, these teens would have to have perfect attendance not only in middle school, but high school as well. I believe videogames should be a sport.

Video games should really be a sport because it will make lots of money for those who compete in a professional MLG tournament. “Chen Zhihao has earned $1.1 million in pro gaming during his five-year career”(Dujmovic ) that is over 200 thousand a year. The money you make all depends on which game you choose to play in the competition. Starting at a base pay of 15,000 dollars playing super smash bros and quite a high pay of 80,000 dollars playing call of duty. this amount of money compares to other sports pays.

Playing videogames tests your hand/eye coordination and really shows your skill level just like in any other “sport”. Also while playing video games not only does it showcase your talent but it simultaneously speeds up your thought process. “According to researchers at the University of Rochester, led by Daphne Bavelier, a cognitive scientist, games simulating stressful events such as those found in battle or action games could be a training tool for real-world situations. The study suggests that playing action video games primes the brain to make quick decisions.”(The Positive and Negative Effects of ...) in real world situations, decision time is really important because of moments where you are under pressure such as a timed test. these people who game professionally are elite players who have extremely quick reaction time which means MLG requires the most amount of skill.

if pool,poker, and chess is a sport then why isn't video games. video games delivers the same amount of skill, experience, strategy than pool, poker, and chess. “chess is a sport. It requires strategy, is played worldwide, and is a competitive game. Those same principals can, and are - applied to video games. In my personal opinion, gaming takes much more mental prowess than say chess.” this is a great quote because it shows that if these sports are considered “sports”(Should video gaming be considered a s...) then video games should be a sport. these sports are no different that video games, they sit in the same boat that video games does.

I say that  videogames sends a great image to those who play. video games can allow the player to release stress. playing could also help you relax and calm your mind and get away from your problems. “Kids who play video games when they are younger are introduced an addictive behavior which can affect them later in life”(Are video games a bad influence? ) I disagree with this quote because parents should keep an eye on their kid so that they don't play bad games and make sure their children don't do bad things. if the parents do their job in raising a good child then there should be no problem with what games they play.


I believe videogames should be a sport because it lives up to the standards that a lot of other sports do. I think that in the future video games will be televised on national television because it has been declared a sport. Gaming is the future of sports and I recommend that video games could go a long way if they become a sport early. gaming could take over the sports networks.