Twilight on Equality | Teen Ink

Twilight on Equality MAG

January 28, 2009
By Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour."


It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.


The author's comments:
I hope that this makes us all more aware about the messages we get while reading.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 589 comments.


on Feb. 12 2010 at 9:35 pm
volleyhitter86, Boonsboro, Maryland
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes I like to pretend to talk on the phone..."

sorry if this offends anyone but i also think that twilight is overrated. there are so many people falling all over this series its hard to go out without seeing a teen girl in a shirt that says "i love boys who sparkle" or something weird like that. it was fine at first, now its just unbearable.

on Feb. 10 2010 at 1:46 pm
princessXcupcake SILVER, Brownsdale, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
A kid in my grade told me this one day in gym..."okay Mr. My Pants Are Too Tight." One...too bad I'm not a Mr. and two, my pants are skinny jeans, of course they're tight! lmao

I find that Twilight is so over-rated! All these teen girls think that they have to fall head over heels with all of the characters and think that they will one day marry them. Get over it! That's not going to happen!

on Feb. 10 2010 at 10:12 am
i love twilight! i love Edward! team edward 4ever:)

CatCave GOLD said...
on Feb. 9 2010 at 8:14 pm
CatCave GOLD, Duluth, Georgia
17 articles 14 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not inherit the earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children.

I like how you addressed one of the many things wrong with this "saga" in an intelligent and non rambling way. Exactly my point of view. Five stars :D

on Feb. 9 2010 at 6:49 pm
THEskaMuFFin BRONZE, Berthoud, Colorado
2 articles 2 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Desire is the cause for all your sickness and misery"
"When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky."
—Budha

I deffinately did not think of it like that. I agree to a point. Very well written in any case.

on Feb. 9 2010 at 11:42 am
Amalthea SILVER, Campbellsville, Kentucky
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that a woman has the right to be feminine, but being a woman doesn't necessarily mean being weak. One can still take on the traditional role of wife and mother without being the cliched damsel in distress. I agree with Catcat that Bella Swan is an incredibly annoying character, but Bella is weak because she's human, not because she's female. I think Stephanie Meyer's greatest faults are that she made her plot too weak and her vampires too unrealistically perfect.

on Feb. 9 2010 at 10:11 am
rainbowwriter SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 12 comments
I think that Bella has just slipt into the hole of love and has trapped herself in it. That doesn't mean that Bella can't do anything for herself but because she is so "dazzled" by Edward's amazingness, she sees herself as weak and because the book is from her point of view, so do we.

sirsblk SILVER said...
on Feb. 8 2010 at 9:44 pm
sirsblk SILVER, Waunakee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is only by introducing the young to great literature, drama and music, and to the excitement of great science that we open to them the possibilities that lie within the human spirit -- enable them to see visions and dream dreams."
-- Eric Anderson

I love this article It is so true and anyone who can't see Bella is hopeless is absolutely MAD. Put a conclusion on this article and It'll be 5-stars!

on Feb. 6 2010 at 2:44 pm
spinningskies BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
1 article 5 photos 9 comments
I agree with this article 100%

on Feb. 1 2010 at 11:46 am
Dr.Diabetic BRONZE, Park City, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes the most hurtful thing you can say to a person is the Truth.
By: Conner Benson

I must say my sister told me to read the series and i got paid a handsome sum of money but as i read these books i was getting more and more as i was kept be disapointed by the plot same thing over and over. and the last one is just made me sick. It has not plot what so ever the book consisit of Bella wanting a kid she gets one almost kills her because its super strong! then Edward decides that he will do a C-section WITH HIS TEETH! My god! then thats not all the Were-wolf guy falls in love with the Baby LIKE LOVE LOVE not like ooOoo Its so cute!

on Feb. 1 2010 at 3:29 am
Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other
15 articles 181 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have miles to go before I sleep
If there is a will, there is a way
Nothing is impossible

Although I disagree, I like the article because it has been written in an interesting way.

on Feb. 1 2010 at 3:27 am
Kayira1991 GOLD, Dhaka, Other
15 articles 181 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
I have miles to go before I sleep
If there is a will, there is a way
Nothing is impossible

I am not a girly girl. Yet, I am a fan of this saga. I fully disagree with this article and I am going to submit an article demonstrating how wrong you are. Twilight saga is not sexist at all. There are girls like Jane, Alice in this book. The Volturi depends on Jane and cullen family on Alice in many ways.And Bella is a bit weak in some ways, but she is a mature girl and quite caring towards people most of the time.

on Jan. 26 2010 at 10:43 pm
Julietbyheart BRONZE, Coalton, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 15 comments
I disagree 100%. You opinion does matter and I can see what your saying but me, I personally just want to get married and be a stay at home wife and depend on my husband. That doesn't make me any less. What is the big deal about women having to stand on their own? If a girl doesn't want to be a man than leave us be because I think being a lady is pretty and sweet no matter what she decides. We can be equal but that doesn't mean you have to become a man. Gosh if a girl decides to be a girl who depends on a guy or who is a mom or whatever it doesn't make her any less. Femminest just get on my nerves. Good article tho.

on Jan. 26 2010 at 10:22 pm
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 32 comments
Exactly my view. You like it or don't like i, respect the book for wat it is.

on Jan. 26 2010 at 10:21 pm
spontaneous09 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 32 comments
I think you interpreted this too narrowly. Though I could also argue with Bella's reckless behavior sometimes and her bad decisions, you see throughout the book that it is because she has fallen so hard for Edward. I don't believe she is evil or represents women as being inferior. She stands for women who are passionate when they find a cause they can really stand for.

izz123 GOLD said...
on Jan. 26 2010 at 8:32 pm
izz123 GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland
13 articles 5 photos 24 comments
Though I agree Bella could be perceived as an "evil temptress," I do not think the book is sexist. The reason Edward saves Bella so much is because Edward is a super strong vampire with powers, and Bella is only human. There are female vampires in the book (Alice, Esme, Rosalie) who are equally strong. Alice was the one who ripped off James' head in the ballet studio, remember.

moosemitts said...
on Jan. 26 2010 at 5:18 pm
I don't agree that all the female characters are helpless at some point. Alice is the most notably strong and independent character. Others include Rosalie, Esme, and Angela. As Stephenie Meyer has said herself, the reason that Bella always portrayed as weak is that she's human, not that she's a woman. She lacks the super-human strength and speed of a vampire, and since she has a tendency to get cornered in dark alleys and nearly eaten in ballet studios, she needs Edward to swoop in and rescue her every once in a while.

I also must say I think you're way off about the "evil temptress" thing. The reason Edward is tempted to do evil is that he's a vampire and thirsts for human blood. Not Bella's fault. The only thing she does to tempt him is to smell good. And when, in the third book, after they've been a couple for quite a while, she wants to go to bed with him, whereas he wants to get married first, they talk about it and reach an agreement. She hardly lures him to sin.

Edward can be controlling, which is certainly wrong, but he does learn the error of his ways eventually and lets Bella make her own decisions. She doesn't passively accept his control, either. When she wants to see Jacob, she does it, in spite of Edward trying to stop her.

As for Bella's mother, she is portrayed as scatter-brained and has a tendency to forget things like where she put her keys. Bella looked after her mother: reminded her where she'd put things, warned her against making impulsive decisions. It doesn't mean Bella's mother isn't intelligent in other ways (She's very intuitive as to the nature of Bella and Edward's relationship). Phil takes care of her, not because he's a man, but because he apparently has a level-headedness(Which Bella also has, except in matters of love) that Renee doesn't. Plenty of wives look after their absent-minded husbands.

It's true that Edward is Bella's sole reason for living, which I agree is not healthy. But Edward has the same obsessive love for Bella. Their lives revolve around each other. While Bella was a mess after Edward left her, Edward says he was even more of a mess.

While Bella is not physically strong, she is brave, loving, and smart. While she's not perfect, I think girls could do worse than to look up to her.

on Jan. 26 2010 at 4:40 pm
Yousmell-likealoser BRONZE, Belgium, Wisconsin
4 articles 5 photos 43 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life may not always be what you want, but life is all you've got; so stick a flower in your bellybutton and be happy!"

True, and to be honest, Twilight isn't very well written. A bunch of big words mixed with a bad romance is all it is! And it attracts people?

on Jan. 26 2010 at 3:11 pm
sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York
27 articles 0 photos 266 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

i agree. they're really good books & to enjoy them, it's better not to overanalyze

on Jan. 26 2010 at 3:08 pm
sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York
27 articles 0 photos 266 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

i see wat u mean. i dont like how bella agrees with almost everything edward says but she does have her own mind in some parts. ive read the whole series and really like them alot, but the 3rd one definetly had some sexist stuff in it. it made me annoyed, but u have to look above it to read the book. good points though