Twilight on Equality This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.

maddybaby12 said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:43 am:
i compeltly agree with you. Shes trying to make him break the rules and turn her into a vampire. Even though they don't age they still kill people. She shouldn't just forget about everyone in her life and turn into a vampire its not right to do that to the people she loves. I love this serious but your right

NotYoursFroever said...
Oct. 26, 2010 at 11:49 am:
it was good when I was reading it, but now i really dislike it. I mean, I think the book was well written and all, the style I mean, but now I agree, she depends on him completely, and that's not what a real relationship will ever be...

ttrajedy29 said...
Oct. 17, 2010 at 11:18 am:
Even though you no longer agree with your article, I do. I like the message your sending to other teen girls out there. Bella became emotionally depressed when she was left by her man. It was as if she couldn't live without him. I feel like that is a huge problem with teen girls nowadays, and I don't like it one bit.

Catcat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

This was written a long time ago, and I no longer agree with my own article. I don't even think this is well written...

Nevertheless it's great to read all of your comments, and I love the debate going on in some of the clusters of comments.

Thanks for all of the feedback--

Katie S. said...
Amazing article! I completly agree.

agreed said...
**claps** I was afraid that you were going to say that Twilight furthered equality. You're right that it doesn't.

DreamingOutLoudThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 11:43 am:

AGREED!!!!!

I was sucked into it myself, but now I look at the stack of four books in heavy distaste. While I don't think of Bella as a temptress, it certainly has been said that her 'adorable helplessness' was the most attractive thing about her. And what WAS up with her life revolving around that guy?!

Anyone want the Twilight Saga for free?

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

What bothers me about Twilight is Edward. Not sexism or inequality, but the character himself.

I agree that reading about someone so 'perfect' makes  girls feel they need their own. A real person to actually be that smart, caring, well mannered, and good looking as that is completely unrealistic. 

WickedlyLove said...

Agreed.

What I do not understand is the third book...was it really necessary? She could have easily fit it into the second and fourth, but instead Meyer had to write another entire five hundred pages.

And what about the ending to the fourth book? It implies that they (Bella, Edward, family, ect.) will live happily ever after. What kind of message is that to the female readers? Have a man and everything will be absolutely perfect! This is both sexist and unethical. It... (more »)

WickedlyLove replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm :
Sorry, something went wrong with the computer and it repeated.

sunnyop replied...
Nov. 4, 2010 at 7:44 pm :
Thank you for mentioning that! Actually, I go as far as to say that she could have condensed it all into two books, what with all the stupid unnecassary imagery she vomited all over her book. The entire series is, after all, based off of a three minute wet dream.

TuffGurl said...
I respect your opinion, even though I disagree with it. Bella wasn't dependant on Edward, they were just... connected very deeply; I don't know how else to explain it. Bella did go practically catatonic for three months, but imagine that the love of your life -- someone who you love more than yourself or this world -- left you. I would be a bit crazy (though I don't think as crazy as that, but I've never met anyone like Edward). And Bella is okay with leaving her mother with Phil, not because fe... (more »)

TuffGurl replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm :
Now the article (not the content) is good just work on your words a bit. It flows, but it could be a bit better. Four stars though, easily. Good job on displaying your opinion. :)

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm :

I agree completely.

I liked the article, it was very well written, but I don't agree with the content.

Still_Waters26 said...
Woo hoo! you're right!

FiGHTiToFF said...
That's SO TRUE!! Me and my friends have talked about it, and how Edward is over-protective and abusive. I mean, if I were her I'd like to think for myself. He's way too controlling. And now that you mention it, that does make sense. Stephenie Meyer seems to have portrayed all the female characters as "damsels in distress." It's incredibly stupid, and I wonder how it got like that?  I just cannot TELL YOU how good it is to finally be able to put how I was feeling about the ser... (more »)

inksplatters21 said...

Very true, but i wonder is Stephenie Meyer did it on purpose.

Would you mind reading/commenting on my work?  Thanks

rubyrachelle said...
I totally agree! I felt that Bella needs to get a life while Edward is away. It really annoyed me that she was so helpless. Even in the movies it portrays that she is helpless without Edward, and then ends up finding Jacob, and leading him on when she is still marveling at the fact that Edward is still out there! 

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 10:29 am:
I agree completely! When I first read New Moon and got to the part where Edward left Bella and she became depressed, I wanted to slap her and scream, "Get your own life, girl! You don't need a man! This is the 21st century!"

TheNovaClytie replied...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm :
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I COULD NOT READ THOSE STUPID CHAPTERS! u cud b sad, but no freaking DEPRESSED FOR MONTHS. i still just.... it makes me wanna scream.