Should College Athletes Be Paid? | Teen Ink

Should College Athletes Be Paid?

By Austin Howery BRONZE, Washoe Valley, Nevada
Austin Howery BRONZE, Washoe Valley, Nevada

Over the past couple years college sports have become more and more prevalent in society because they are easier to go to than pro games and they can be found on the television. With its unique excitement, competitiveness and growing popularity, the question on wither or not college athletes should get paid starts to be discussed more. College athletes start working when they’re young just so they can play college sports and a lot of these athletes have to play sports in order to pay for school and support their families by getting an education and job. The crowds that these athletes attract are incredible and they help bring in loads of money for the school which would be for academics and athletics. Athletes in college practice at least three times a day, leaving them no time for a job and very little for a social life. That being said college athletes should be paid because they practice just as much as a person with a full time job works leaving them no time to get extra money for food. Their games also help bring in money to the school not only for the athletes, but the whole student body. Last but not least many people argue that college athletes shouldn’t get paid because of their scholarships but not all college athletes receive scholarships to play sports. ("College Athletes Should Not Receive Payment for Playing.")

Not only do college athletes expend most of their time practicing their sports, but they are in danger of an injury while playing and practicing. On average an NCAA player practices for 48 hours in a week and some practice even longer. For example, Northwestern football sometimes practices up to fourteen hour a day which is more than half of the day, leaving athletes very little time to work on their academics and no time for a job. (“Players about to Get Paid as Money Changes Game in College Athletics”) This is as long, if not longer than a person with a full time job works. In addition to their insane amount of practicing they have school and homework to worry about. Being a college athlete is no simple task, it takes a huge toll on the students mentally and physically. With the amount of time and energy that an athlete spends on his or her sports, they should be getting more out of it.

The athletes have also been putting on good shows and people love to go watch their favorite college team because the colleges are usually closer than a pro stadium and the tickets are cheaper. Unlike pro teams the fans can feel more connected to the team because it is usually local. People admire and love to watch the competitive college athletes compete and spend money to come watch them. This money not only goes back to sports and athletic department, it helps with academics. Many students not involved in sports call them “dumb jocks” but these “dumb jocks” may have just helped buy that new proton collider that you got to use in your science class. Student athletes should be paid because they help bring money back to the school which helps people get a better education. The NCAA has no excuse to not pay college athletes when they are bringing in an average 989 million dollars annually. (Strachan, Maxwell)

Last but not least, not all college athletes receive a scholarship to play sports. In fact most college athletes don’t receive any athletic scholarship. This is in response to the common counter argument that athletes already get money from athletic scholarships and that they don’t need extra money. But if you talk to any college student I can almost guarantee that they need money. These athletes don’t receive any money and their only possible source of income is their parents or guardians, leaving them little money to buy food and clothes because their parents are most likely also paying for their schooling and textbooks. If someone’s argument is that athletes shouldn’t get paid because they get scholarships is extremely bias because there are people that receive scholarships that are non-athletes. While the non-athletes have time to go get jobs for extra money, athletes don’t have that luxury. That being said athletes deserve to get paid for their efforts playing sports because not all of them have money to spend.  If college athletes do end up getting paid then they will technically be considered pros but that shouldn’t affect anything.            

In conclusion, college athletes deserve to get paid for playing sports because they work as long if not longer than a full time job, they help bring in money to schools, and not all college athletes receive a scholarship. If someone argues that this would give athletes an advantage over normal students that is an invalid argument. College athletes work their butts off watching film and working out. Although I do believe that college athletes deserve to get paid I don’t think they need to be making anywhere near the pros. They just need enough to keep them on their feet and allow them to buy things like food and clothes. Technically they would no longer be classified as amateur athletes but that shouldn’t be a problem. In the end by doing this college athletes most likely will be less stressed about money and be able to focus more on their sports and academics.

Work Cited              
• "College Athletes Should Not Receive Payment for Playing." College Athletes Should Not Receive Payment for Playing. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 May 2015.
• "Players about to Get Paid as Money Changes Game in College Athletics." CBSSports.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 May 2015.
• US News. U.S.News & World Report, n.d. Web. 11 May 2015.   
• Strachan, Maxwell. "NCAA Schools Can Absolutely Afford To Pay College Athletes,