PED'S | Teen Ink

PED'S

By Gage Hildebrandt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Gage Hildebrandt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"Dude I'm getting jacked"....... Not really. Performance enhancing drugs or commenly known as PED’S have been on the rise in Sports where size, speed, and strength matter.  People in major league sports will do anything to get an edge over their opponents. But do you gain more than you loes?  PED’S demoralize the game. Doctors from Mayo clinic wrote an article on PED'S and how they affect your body, life, and sporting career.They found that when you decide to take PED’S it can cause Tendon weakness, Fluid retention, chances of getting tuberculosis go up, may cause shortened life span,and the length of your may career decrease.  What for? Maybe a advantage for a few years.  Not much of a gain.  The main 3 sports that come up with PED'S are baseball football and powerlifting.

Alex Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, big name MLB baseball players.  Both tested positive for PED'S. How does that affect the young kids wanting to be like them? "Oh he used drugs now he's rich playing baseball I'll follow in his footsteps" not knowing what it can cause and affect your life.... possibly ending it too.  Also, what is the point of playing baseball if it's not fair.  Take me out to the drug game.  That is what it will be like in a few years.  Not cracker jacks anymore, it will be needles.  Football has had problems with concussion issues but PED'S are on the rise.

Speed strength size boom outstanding football player.  When that drug leaves the needle into your arm it can give you all three of those. Roger Goodell (NFL commissioner) released the information that Laron Landry, a decent player just got busted for PED'S and will be suspended for 10 games.  His biceps were bigger than his head.  Stuff like that demoralize the game.  In only a few years, there won't be any all natural talent.  No point in strength training, determination to get better, not one player would actually have to work.  Anyone could do that. It would literally stab football in the throat with a knife, and watch it slowly bleed until it is a game of the past.

The sport hit the hardest was powerlifting.  Say I am squatting 400 pounds max. I meet someone who gets me PED'S.  I could boost 50 pounds in one week.  I watched a show on PED'S and one lifter said that when on PED'S his max gained 200 POUNDS.  Their was a point in powerlifting that all lifters used PEDS just because everyone else did and if they didn't they were at a disadvantage.  That is problematic.

You're not getting jacked dude.  Health risks, demoralizing sports and in a few years destroys the "I want to be a football player Daddy.". In a few years it will be "I want to use drugs daddy." We need to stand together and save our future children/children's dreams.  Don’t let PEDS destroy sports all together