9 Football | Teen Ink

9 Football

By Felix Aviles BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Felix Aviles BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Both freshman A and B teams did very well this season. Freshman A won their first district game against Eisenhower, ending the game 14-0. Ninth Grade has not beat Eisenhower in approximately 10 years, until this year! They were also able to dominate Northbrook 30-0, and Aldine, winning the homecoming game 35-0. Freshman A- team ended the season 3-3 as their district record. With great effort from everyone on the team, freshman A-team worked great together. From rushes from running backs Richard and William, to passes from quarterback Jontrae, and so on. Everyone was aggressive and violent on the field. Especially the monstrous offensive and defensive linemen.

On the other hand freshman B-team did an awesome job as well. Freshman B-team ended their season 2-3-1 as their district record. They did an explosive job against Northbrook winning the game 35-6. They also managed to beat Aldine in a close game at our homecoming. During the kickoff, Anthony Pena ran the ball for eighty yards making the touchdown, with amazing blocks from the return team. In the 4th quarter, Aldine had the lead 7 to 6. Anthony made a game changing sac that lead to a safety. Freshman B-team took the victory home, with the final score of 8-7. Memorial also put up a challenge against the freshman B-team. It was anybody's game, sadly the score stayed 14-14 that counted the game as a tie. Everyone on the freshman B-team also made a great effort. Such as quarterback Jonathan Villa with good passes, Hendy Hernandez with incredible catches, hard hitting tackles from Felix Aviles, and Anthony Pena running the ball like no other. The whole team basically.

Now that we are on off season all coaches, including coach Harris, Canady, and Nunez, are building up all the football players by helping them become faster and stronger. All freshmen work out twice a day with the upperclassmen. They all lift, do football drills, and run to improve their speed and cardio.  Mac 9 had a awesome group of football players this year. Now even more freshman are joining the varsity locker room with Jacoby and Mason. Such as lineman Miguel and wide receiver Jason. Like coach Harris and Nunez once said, "We are the future of this program.”