Lessons | Teen Ink

Lessons

By mollymonster BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
mollymonster BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

In life you learn many lessons about many things from many places.  They can come from school, friends, family, and sports; pretty much anywhere.  For me, the biggest place where I learned about life was on a sandy field filled with four bases and 9 girls.  From the first time I stepped on to a softball field in preschool to the most recent time, which was last night, I have loved every part of being there.  The best place on the field, the one where I learned how to be a leader, broken a couple of fingers, gotten cleat scars on my leg, given out multiple concussions, and learned lessons that have shaped my life, is home base. 

My first experience with softball was tee ball in preschool which continued until I started slow-pitch years later and finally my first fast pitch season beginning in 5th grade.  My first fast pitch season is very memorable to me for many reasons.  One of the reasons it is such a big memory is because there were only two other girls on the team that were in the same grade as me.  This was also a very big season for me because it was the first time I tried playing the catcher position and I have loved it ever since.

Looking back, I almost didn’t sign up for fast pitch that first season because I kept asking my friends if they were joining, and they kept saying “no”.  This really discouraged me but I chose to be in softball anyway.  This choice was one of the best ones that I have made in my life. 

The start of the season was difficult because I was in a group of three 5th graders who had never played fast pitch softball before and were now on a team with all 6th graders who we hardly knew.  Even with all the trouble, however, playing softball was still my favorite thing to do.  I looked forward to practice every day and the only time I ever went to bed early was when there was a game the next day.  Softball quickly turned into my life and remains that way to this day. 

When I started fast pitch, all the 6th graders ahead of us already had their positions.  They knew what they were good at and where they were going to play.  Joining a team like this, no matter how much I loved softball, meant I was sent into the outfield.  I didn’t mind the outfield, I even liked it, but when I spot for catcher opened up, I was all over it.  I wasn’t sure how this position would work out for me, however.  I wasn’t a tall girl in 5th grade, I wasn’t the fastest person on the team, and I couldn’t catch the best either but that wouldn’t stop me because I knew I could be good as catcher.  I knew I could handle this position because I had a really good throwing arm, wasn’t afraid of getting hurt by the ball or knocking over some girls at home base, and I was willing to work as hard as I needed to make sure I was a successful catcher. 

When I volunteered for the position of catcher, I surprised most of the people on my team and both of my parents.  They never thought I would be the one that wanted to be involved in every play, squat the whole game, and wear heavy and tight equipment that made a 60 degree day feel like the desert.  I kept telling them, however, that this was the position that I wanted to play and I was going to stick with it.  After a tough first year and four more seasons of softball after that, I am now in my 6th year of fast pitch and am still making throw downs to second and icing my thighs after every game.  This year, as a sophomore, I am even the starting catcher for varsity.  Looking back at 5th grade me, I am so happy that I chose to stick with softball and play catcher no matter how tough it was for me.  Now, I can’t picture myself playing any other position.  The equipment is still hot and the squatting hurts but I have gained a lot choosing to be a catcher.  I get to be involved in every play that happens during each game which makes me a big part of the team.  Even though it’s tough sometimes and a big responsibility, it makes me feel good when something successful happens because I know I was a part of it.  Unless it was someone else batting because I’m not the one swinging there.  Playing catcher has also made me way less shy and turned me into a more outgoing person.  When you play catcher, you have to yell as loud as you can every play and if you don’t, something can go very wrong.  Having to speak up in front of everybody during every practice and game has made it easier for me to communicate with people in everyday circumstances too.  You also get great leg muscles when catching which makes bike rides and long shopping trips a breeze for me. 

Playing a position I wasn’t expected to play and staying with something no matter how hard it got and who my teammates were taught me a lot about life.  It tells me to do the same thing with other situations.  When someone else is having a hard time in a softball game, for instance, I get upset, but I don’t get mad at the person.  I know from all my experience that being great at everything is impossible, especially in softball because there are so many different situations that can happen.  As long as the person having a bad game is trying, I’m not going to get mad at them. 

Some people think learning life lessons from sports can’t happen but I can tell you that it does.  Just from playing softball, I know about how important teamwork is, if you don’t accept others they won’t accept you, and to never give up on yourself no matter what happens.  I have learned that the harder you try, the more you will succeed, and this has taught me a lot.