Fishing | Teen Ink

Fishing

March 19, 2015
By Laurynna3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Laurynna3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Fishing is my favorite activity to do.  I find fishing relaxing and a good way to spend time.  Listening to the birds fly and seeing the calm water ripple is tranquility.   The sport is something people have done for many years.   I would go every day if I could.  I started when I was around 6 and my dad has taken me since then.  We normally go to Independence Dam or the canal.  My aunt and uncle have a pond so we sometimes go there too.  When I first went fishing I remember waking up and my dad walking in the kitchen asking, “Wanna go fishing today?”  I squealed with glee.  I had been begging him to take me and we never had time to.  I didn’t eat my breakfast that morning I was so excited.  I had microwaved oatmeal and left it in there when we left.   We went to the canal and parked alongside the road.  We walked down the steep path and my line snagged in some smaller trees.  I hadn’t put anything in the water and I was already having problems.  My dad finally got my line out of the greenery so I could toss my line in the water.  I baited my hook and casted it as far as I could.  Ten minutes or so into our beautiful morning, I got something.  My pole was bending, my heart was pounding from excitement, and I was having a hard time reeling it in.  The fish surfaced and it looked big.  My dad helped and said I had a nice size bass hooked.  Then my line snagged on something underwater.  My dad tried and tried to get it out but it wouldn’t budge.  Once he got it out, he then stuck it in some weeds in the shoreline.  Once he got the line free, I noticed there was a little fish trying to take the hook.  I let the little fish take it and my line was close enough to where I only had to grab the fish.  I had never seen a fish like that.  It was a golden colored bluegill and it had a turquoise tint to it when it was turned a certain way.  The sunlight made it glimmer against the water as I let it go.  I had a story to take home about my first experience fishing.