For the Love of the Game | Teen Ink

For the Love of the Game

By Wolfin8or BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Wolfin8or BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fresh cut grass, bright white lines, when the lights turn on so does the adrenaline.  For somebody who doesn’t love many things, this can be ecstasy.  Under the bright lights with a thousand fans cheering for or against you, there is only one goal: win. 

It’s more than a game.  That’s a line many athletes will say about their respective sport.  If their love for their game is as deep and passionate as mine, then the century-old cliché is, in fact, true.  Just the thought of putting on the pads and looking through that facemask gives me goose bumps.  When it actually happens, it is like I am in a whole different world.  There is nothing I love more than going to battle with my teammates, my brothers. 
There is no greater sport, in my mind, than football.  It requires a lot of time and dedication, but the hours, weeks, months, of sweat and preparation are worth the memories and companionship that one receives during this time.  Many of the friends I have today, I have because of football.  We lift, run, bleed, sweat, and live together through the hot summer days during two-a-days, and we stay together through the icy rain that comes in the late fall. 

Football teaches life lessons like working hard, developing team chemistry, and doing all the little things right.  These lessons need to be taught to everyone, for they help people succeed later in life in their careers. 
Is it worth it though? Putting in all the work, risking injury, for just what some call a silly game? Some think it’s crazy, and maybe that’s why the amount of people that play it is declining.  Me, well I might just be crazy.  My coach always says it takes a special kind of person to play this sport.  He praises us for being there and working hard, but tells us to never be satisfied.  My freshman year there was fourteen people in my class.  I am now going into my senior year, with just five, and only three of them played freshman year.  Crazy? We are crazy for this game. 

In my three years so far of high school football, there isn’t a second I’d take back.  Freshman year I was able to conquer some tough problems I had with myself and in my family.  Sophomore year I learned that the harder I work, the better the reward is.  Junior year gave me a dreadful injury, but I don’t regret it.  I’ve been taking my blessings for granted, and I haven’t appreciated them enough.  I needed it.  I needed to be knocked from pedestal and get my mind back to earth.  Being cleared after seven months of recovering just makes me hungrier.  I can’t wait to get back out there, for one more year, one more chance to achieve my goals.  I’ve given my heart and soul into football throughout high school, all for the love of the game.