Why I Compete | Teen Ink

Why I Compete

I’m going to answer the question that I’m sure many athletes and even people who have never played a sport ask, “Why do I compete?” To that question there is a variety of answers. Perhaps I want to compete for the satisfaction of self-improvement. Or maybe it’s a more selfish reason, like my desire to win. The motivation to put effort into competitive situations, satisfaction from doing well, and my preference for difficult tasks also all play into my competitive being.

While there are many answers to this simple question, one reason that I compete is because of the satisfaction of improving my performance. I play volleyball. And when I miss a dig or serve it into the net, my mood may decrease, but my overall performance does the opposite. I realize how to make my dexterity improve by learning from my faults. That could mean stepping more to the right to get to the ball or focusing on my toss while I serve. Practice really does make perfect. The French poet Samuel Beckett once said, “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” He means to say that if you fail, try again. And even if that next try isn’t perfect, it will at least have been better than before.

Another reason for my need to compete is my desire to win. No one wants to lose. Not unless by losing I would somehow gain something better than I would’ve by winning. By losing, I somehow give up some part of my dignity to the opposing player or team. Winning almost always turns out to be better than losing. Whether it’s a reward you gain, or just the satisfaction, winning is certainly more pleasant than losing.

Imagine this: You’re on the volleyball court. Its game point in the oppositions favor. You aren’t too far behind but people are already starting to lose hope. The ball is tossed and hit over the net and your libero- the defensive player who is most responsible for the passes- gets served the ball. You see the ball heading towards them and you feel hopeful. But then the ball drops to the ground barely two feet in front of them. While their head was in the clouds, a game was being played, and they didn’t have time to react. You can’t be upset but you are. They put in no effort.

Effort is one thing I am good at. I try my hardest in everything I do, and that sure does help when I compete. It helps also that I have motivation to put in effort. If that libero had hit the floor, I would not have been as mad at my last game. If they had shown that they put in effort, I would at least understand. Which is why I try so hard to put effort into everything I do. Because if you try, there’s really no reason for anyone to be mad, even if you end up losing.

Losing is one thing. Disappointment is another. Nothing compares to the dreadful feeling of seeing people disappointed in you. Which is why there is so much satisfaction gained from doing well while competing. Just that satisfaction makes me strive to do well while competing.

There are so many people that would rather take the easy way out. That could mean loading the dishes without washing them, or that could mean something as serious as stealing to get money. But there are some people that prefer challenges, like me. I like to do things the hard way- to slow down and take my time. That doesn’t apply all the time, but while competing it does. I prefer to do the more difficult option. Because if I were to come out on top, I would’ve worked harder for it.

Competing is a difficult topic. I like it, whether I win or lose, but prefer it when I win. I like to compete for many reasons. The satisfaction of self-improvement, my desire to win, the motivation to put effort into competitive situations, satisfaction from doing well and preference for difficult tasks to name a few. Overall, I do like to compete. But I do much prefer winning to losing.