The Ultimate Sport | Teen Ink

The Ultimate Sport

By RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine
RoadRacer BRONZE, Rustico, Maine

Tyson, 9 years old, wanted to play hockey like all the other boys in his class. His parents found him some second hand gear; it reeked like a dead skunk. In his first year of hockey, Tyson tried out for the AA team, unfortunately he got cut. All of his friends made it, and they talked about it all the time. During his second year of hockey, he broke his arm. He missed the end of the season and the playoffs. The year dragged on as he waited for the winter to come around again. Finally when he came back the next year he noticed that his teammates seemed meaner. They said really bad words to the other team. He saw how the foul language cut right in to their hearts. The next year he tried out for AA again and yet again got cut. He felt pretty discouraged because everyone at his school knew he didn’t make it. The discouragement was a black cloud that always blocks the sun. The next year he stopped playing hockey.

Emily’s mom wanted her to play a sport to get exercise. Emily didn’t want to play hockey because she would have had to play in the boy’s league, so she tried Ultimate Frisbee. Her mom approved this decision because it wouldn’t cost a million dollars to play ultimate, unlike hockey which costs a fortune. At first Emily didn’t know anyone and she felt nervous, but eventually she learned their names and how to play the game. Even in her second year she wasn’t the best but she loved the game so she kept working at it. The experienced players all treated her as an equal, which made Emily so happy. She decided she would treat people with the same level of respect that ultimate players treated each other, which is the most possible. As the years went by she continued to improve and make new friends. She tries to have fun no matter where she is. As you can see, ultimate made her a better person.

You certainly have heard of hockey in Canada, even if you live under a rock. The most cherished sport in our nation. By now, you’ve probably also heard of Ultimate Frisbee. Perhaps you haven’t if you live under a rock. People have been playing it for many years, but now its popularity is rising faster and faster. If you look closely, it’s not hard to see why. Ultimate Frisbee is an exhilarating sport that is good for your body, mind and soul, and superior to hockey.

To begin, consider the nature of the sport. Ultimate is played for the sake of having fun, no matter what the level of play is. The game requires each team to have 4 guys and 3 girls, or 4 girls and 3 guys, and they don’t discriminate by age or playing level either. In fact, it’s fair in every way possible. Ultimate doesn’t even require a referee because the rules depend only on honesty and sportsmanship. For example, if a player crosses out of the field, he admits it immediately without the other team needing to remind him. Imagine that, a sport that demands respect towards your opponent, and the players follow the rules. In contrast, while watching any hockey game it’s clear that the players only have one goal in mind, and it’s not the back of the net. Players are always yelling, cursing and threatening each other, anger feeding anger. Sportsmanship is hard to find when big hits and fights are glorified. Nowadays, NHL players, idolized by many young Canadians, show us that fighting makes you tough and important. If you fight, you’re brave, if you don’t, you’re a coward. That isn’t something I would want to teach my kids.

Consequently, another problem found in hockey of all ages, often caused by hitting and fights, is injuries. Ten percent of players in Canadian minor hockey are injured every year. In Ontario alone, eight thousand players are brought to hospital every year because they’re injuries are so severe, with everything from broken arms right to concussions. In my last year of hockey I witnessed three players get concussions and one player even broke his collarbone. I was paralyzed with fear as I watched him hit the boards like a speeding train. Doesn’t look like a pleasant experience. Meanwhile, ultimate offers a safe environment. Though games can be very intense, injuries are minimal. There is no physical contact allowed, the only one getting slapped and thrown is the Frisbee. Of course, twisted ankles, and in extreme cases fractured knees, are possible. They’re just very unlikely. Usually the only thing you come home with is grass stains.

Furthermore, let us investigate the financial side of these sports. Considering the registration cost, equipment, tournament fees and travel, one year of minor hockey for one Canadian player will easily cost above $1000. In addition to that, don’t forget you can add to that the hot chocolate to warm you up and all those delicious salty rink fries that fatten you up. On the other hand, registration for the PEI ultimate is only $80, including a Dry-Fit jersey and a Frisbee. I assure you that it’s worth every nickel.

I believe it’s obvious which sport is the Ultimate one.