Mandatory School Sports | Teen Ink

Mandatory School Sports

December 14, 2014
By Anonymous

According to scholastic tests from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, China ranks “eleven percent better in reading, twenty-three percent better in math, and fifteen percent better in science than the United States” (Lubin). A study carried out by The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse reveals, “For the sixth straight year, sixty percent or more of teens reported that their high schools are drug infected” (Kuczynski-Brown). Results from a study conducted by Emory Healthcare revealed, “More than thirty percent of kids are overweight” (Sutton). The future for American teens does not look too bright. However, things do not have to stay this way. It is time to take a stand to pass the test, curb crime, and tip the scale in order to ensure a brighter future for coming generations. How is this possible? All three of the pressing issues illustrated by the above statistics have one simple solution: The answer is sports. The key to a brighter future lies in youth participation in sports. Sports must be made mandatory in public schools starting in the sixth grade because it would have a profound impact in the classroom, greatly reduce crime and drug abuse, and enormously improve the overall health of students across the country.

     

Making sports a requirement for young school students would have a positive impact in the classroom. Student-athletes often have greater academic success than non-athletes due to their exposure to a structured environment. School can be like a stormy ocean, tough to navigate and full of overwhelming waves. Many kids struggle with the stresses of school, which greatly hinders their success in the classroom. Sports help students cope with these issues because they teach them how to perform well under pressure, allowing them to relax in the class and on tests, and ultimately operate more efficiently. In addition, school sports involve strict practice schedules that teach kids the importance of focus and responsibility in reaching a goal. These attributes carry directly into the classroom, as students possess the responsibility to do their homework and the focus to study. As a result, student-athletes shine in an academic setting.  A 2011-2012 study on the correlation between athletic involvement and academic success lead by Dr. Anthony price revealed that non-athletes earned an average 2.72 GPA while student-athletes earned an average 3.01 GPA. In addition, students that played sports “had greater achievement in every academic success category”  (Holmes). Students that play sports have a clear advantage in the classroom due to experience that equips them with mechanisms for success in school. With this in mind, it only makes sense that public schools require sports to be a mandatory part of their curriculum.

   

 Not only will mandatory sports improve the classroom, they will allow administrations to tremendously decrease the amount of crime and drug use that students get involved in. Students that play sports often get into less trouble in and out of school. Student-athletes have strict schedules that do not allow idle time for getting into trouble. Preoccupied with practices and games throughout the week, athletes do not have time to waste on drug use or other forms of trouble. Furthermore, athletes know they cannot get into trouble lest they lose the respect of others as well as their eligibility to participate in sports. Therefore, in order to continue playing sports, they must stay focused and on their best behavior. Along with this, athletes must stay healthy for their sport, so they often choose not to smoke or use other drugs that can jeopardize their health. According to a study investigating the benefits of youth sports conducted by Kids Play USA, “Female high school athletes are ninety-two percent less likely to get involved with drugs and eighty percent less likely to get pregnant” (Benefits). Sports serve as a buffer that protects students from trouble. Administrations who care about the well being of their student population will make sports a mandatory part of school in order to reduce drug abuse and other trouble.

     

Lastly, mandatory sports in public schools would immensely improve the overall health of students. Compared with non-athletes, students that participate in sports typically remain substantially healthier both physically and mentally. Sports offer an incredibly friendly and social environment. Students can use this as a resource to make friends and interact with others, contributing significantly to a healthy mind. Sports not only help mental health, they also play a huge role in physical health. The 2009 National Survey of Children’s Health showed that “non-athletes are sixty percent more likely to be over weight than athletes” (Benefits). Additionally, a study by researcher Dr. Drake and his colleagues at Dartmouth published in the journal “Pediatrics” revealed, “If all adolescents played on at least two sports teams per year, obesity rates would plunge twenty-six percent and the prevalence of overweight adolescents would fall by eleven percent” (O’Connor). Finally, sports teach students how to keep in shape while still having fun. This transfers directly into later life, as they are equipped with the knowledge they need to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Although health issues, especially obesity, plague youth across the nation; and although they have continued to rise in recent years; and though these health issues pose threats of destruction and pain, they can be easily fixed. Daily activity can easily prevent these health issues and is essential for the physical and mental health of young people. Sports provide an easy and enjoyable way to accomplish this, and, therefore, should be made a mandatory part of public schools.
     

Many critics argue that funding mandatory sports would present too large of a cost, believing that the cost of equipment and fees is too high. However, even these critics realize the benefits of school sports, and their argument is merely against the monetary issue. Many solutions to this problem exist including the implementation of a “pay to play” system. Many schools across the country have begun to require a fee for participation in sports in order to help with the financial load. “Pay to play” offers a plausible solution that would work in wealthier areas; however, many would argue that some families simply cannot afford to pay a fee. For such areas, other solutions could help with the large costs of sports. For example, local business sponsors can aid in bearing the load, and school sponsored fundraisers can help raise money for the teams and equipment. Schools must not let the minor monetary matter deter them from reaping the numerous benefits that mandatory sports would provide.

     

Does not every parent want his or her child to do well in school, stay out of trouble, and remain happy as well as healthy? Sports accomplish all of this while providing a great environment for students. With simple planning, the monetary issues brought up can be resolved. Sports offer too many amazing results, ranging from academic success and less trouble to a healthier life, for school administrations not to take advantage of. It is the job of the community to make this happen. Parents of school children and district parents need to write letters and schedule meetings with school administrators and local authorities such as town representatives to describe the need to make sports a mandatory part of public schools. Together with the aid of sports, we can brighten the future for the next generation of America.

 

Works Cited
"Benefits of Youth Sports." Kids Play USA Foundation. Kids Play                                  USA, n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2014.
Holmes, Ronald. "Does Athletic Involvement Improve Academic Success?" Theholmeseducationpost.com. The Holmes Education Post, 16 Aug. 2013. Web. 05 Nov. 2014.
Kuczynski-Brown, Alex. "School Drug Use: Survey Finds 17 Percent Of High School Students Drink, Smoke, Use Drugs During The School Day." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 23 Aug. 2012. Web. 30 Oct. 2014.
Lubin, Gus. "24 Countries That Have Smarter Children Than America." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 07 Dec. 2010. Web. 05 Nov. 2014.
O'Connor, Anahad. "Sports Promote Healthy Weight in Teenagers." The New York Times. The New York Times Company, 17 July 2012. Web. 05 Nov. 2014.
Sutton, Amy. "Do Team Sports Help Kids to Be Successful Later in Life?" Livestrong.com. Livestrong.com, 26 Nov. 2013. Web. 01 Nov. 2014.