Marching Band Is a Sport | Teen Ink

Marching Band Is a Sport

November 15, 2014
By abigail44 BRONZE, Alexandria, Ohio
abigail44 BRONZE, Alexandria, Ohio
2 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit. -Richard Bach


First off, I will answer a very important question. 'Why do you care so much if we consider marching band a sport or not?' Easy. I care because we work hard too. We deserve to be recognized. At what pep rally or other school event has marching band been recognized at? Exactly. We don't deserve to be made fun just because we're doing something we love. Do people make fun of the football team much? Not that I've witnessed. Is football a sport? Yes. Do people make fun of cheerleaders? No. Is cheerleading a sport? Yes. Notice a pattern? Marching band should be included in that. It is my goal to have that happen. Let's begin:

 

According to the Merriam Webster dictionary, a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. There are four key points in this definition that say marching band is a sport.

The first point made is that a sport requires physical activity, which holds true for marching band as well. Try marching with a heavy instrument, while keeping in step with some of the fastest songs known to man. In double time. Try jazz running with a sousaphone. Try dancing with one too. And guess what! We run too! Right after we stretch and warm up! Imagine that!

The second point made in the definition is that a sport requires skill. Pardon me, but I've seen people play other sports who have no skill at all. They were just lucky enough not to be cut. Marching band actually fits this requirement, all the time. Try playing an instrument sometime. That in itself is skill, what with the tone, pitch, complicated rhythms, dynamics, notes, and accents. Just to name a few! Now try doing all of that in 100 degree weather (or 20 degrees for that matter. Our season usually encounters both) while marching in step, remembering every place you need to be with extreme precision, rolling your feet, perfecting all instrument movements and visuals, and moving props. Marching band kids are among the only people in the world who can march in the dark without killing each other. Marching band kids are among the only people in the world who can march in all types of weather without dying. Marching band kids are the only people in the world you can do all the things mentioned above and complain and love it at the same time.

The third point made in the definition is that sports follow a strict set of rules. So does marching band! Every competition has rules and if the rules are broken, we get a penalty, causing our point values to drop. People are always watching, no matter if it is before, during, or after the show. There are rules throughout the entire day.

 

The fourth and final point the definition made is that a sport is competition. So is marching band, every Saturday. We compete against dozens of bands across the state and we get ranked first, second, third, etc. And just to make something clear that I hear way too often: nowhere in the definition of competition does it say it has to happen with two teams on the field at the same time. Therefore marching band competitions are actually competitive.

A few more key points I have collected that consider marching band should be a sport follow. Around 90% of the marching band stretches are the same as football stretches. Many marching bands require their kids to get a physical as well. ESPN is a sports channel. The World Championship finals for marching band have been on ESPN. Marching band is a team effort. Communication is much needed to keep things under control. And, as many regular sports teams, our team is a family.

Throughout the course of this essay I have made it my mission to convince all readers that marching band is a sport. Now is the time for me to go above and beyond. Marching band is way beyond a sport. While sports may teach you agility, perseverance, discipline, and teamwork, marching band teaches you so much more. Marching band teaches you all of those things, as well as logic, mathematics, perception, numbers, physics, memorization, expression of self, responsibility, multitasking, time management, manners, history, sacrifice, resilience, problem solving, and flexibility, just to name a few. On a deeper level, marching band teaches you respect, camaraderie, trust, love, pain, and heartbreak. The people you are in marching band with will stick with you the rest of your life. Whether it's a first love, a best friend, or a mentor, these people really stick with you forever. It has amazed me how much I have learned from marching band.

In conclusion, marching band is a sport, but it is also so much more.


The author's comments:

I strongly believe marching band is a sport, but I am still up to debate. If you have anything you want me to hear involving this topic, I'd love to hear it! Comments are welcome!