Taking Chances | Teen Ink

Taking Chances

By gabbie bright BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
gabbie bright BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I remember arriving at the field, fall leaves of every color, bright oranges, reds and yellows, covered the dark green grass. The cool breeze formed goose bumps on my skin. I took a deep breath as the cold air traveled down my throat. Anxiety was building inside me as my chest began to tighten. This was it. Waza U16 soccer tryouts. One of the biggest moments of my soccer career. A whole new team, a whole new skill level, a new beginning.

I sat down my bag on the damp grass and took a seat next to the field. Watching the teams fast paced movements, balls passed, shots flying through the air, I knew these tryouts weren’t going to be easy. How am I ever going to make it? I thought to myself. How could I possibly compete with these girls? Before I knew it, the coach called us in to a group to assign positions for the try-out scrimmage. 

This reminds me of volleyball tryouts three years ago. Being that I hadn’t ever played before, tryouts were insanely terrifying and nerve wrecking much like these waza tryouts. I didn’t know what to expect.

Minutes later, both my team and my opponents jogged onto the field where I took my position as center forward. A chill ran down my spine, but not from the breeze. Nerves ran through my body. It was time to show this team what I’ve got. The whistle blew, and we were off. Several quick passes and give-and-go’s later, the ball was at my feet. It wasn’t long before I had an opposing player sprinting toward me with determination in her eyes. A quick scissor and a left cut later, I had my opponent beat. I let out a quick sigh of relief, but it wasn’t over yet. Thinking on my feet, I glanced up to find the nearest option. Out of the corner of my eye I was able to spot one of my players in the far right corner of the opposing teams half. With a slight touch to the right with the outside of my cleat, I then shifted my body and passed the ball as hard as I could. The players heads lifted and watched as the ball soared through the air and found my teammates feet. I then saw my chance and knew I had to take it. Beads of sweat ran down my cool cheeks as I sprinted toward my opponent’s goal, faster than I ever had before.

As I reached the six yard box, I called to my teammate for the ball letting her know I was open. Seconds later the ball came flying through the air heading toward me. I shifted my body and launched myself in the air allowing my head to meet the ball. I arched my neck forward and instantly felt the pressure of the impact. The goalie then leaped in the air arms above her head, and dove to the right. As the goalie hit the ground, the ball soared into the back of the net.

A wave of excitement came over me. I turned my body to see my teammates greeting and congratulating me. Glancing toward the coach, he flashed a look of approval. I did it, I showed this team what I can really do, I thought. My first goal set the tone for the rest of the tryouts. I pushed harder, cut quicker, and ran faster than I ever thought I could.

As tryouts came to an end, I was then called over to talk with the Waza coach. Although I impressed myself, I didn’t know what to expect. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach. “Well, Bright, your ability to see opportunities, take chances, and make something out of it was extremely impressive. In fact, it’s exactly what we are looking for on this team. I think you’d be a great addition.” He said with a comforting smile. Receiving this news and knowing the risk I took paid off was unreal feeling.

Although this was last year, the lesson I learned has always suck with me. I am now a chance taker. You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take. Even if you’re doubting yourself, pushing yourself and taking risks far outweighs sticking to your doubts. A life without taking chances is a life without success.