Michael Sam: The Controversy | Teen Ink

Michael Sam: The Controversy

By Kelsey1998 BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Kelsey1998 BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"Perfection is shallow, unreal, and fatally uninteresting." Anne Lamott

Michael Sam is the first openly gay player in the NFL and one of the most talked about athletes in the world of sports.

The fact that Sam was an amazing player in college but only got drafted 249th out of 250 is a little absurd. Sam was the number one Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year and caused the fumble that led Missouri to win the 2014 Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma State University.

He did under-perform during the Combine and is either “too small” or “too slow” to play in the National Football League.  However he also showed during his college career he is a player who can produce on the field in regards to tackles, sacs, fumbles, etc.

Many think and I agree that it is possible that Sam didn’t get drafted until late because of his sexuality.  He is the first openly gay player in the NFL and that could make players feel awkward.

We are in a new age of the world now though, gay marriage is becoming legal and somebody’s sexuality should not define whether or not they can do the same thing a straight person can.

“[Congradulation] Michael Sam, the Rams and the NFL for taking an important step forward today in our Nation's journey,” President Barack Obama said after hearing that the St. Louis Rams drafted Sam.

Sam then played with the Rams during all of the pre-season and got to play between 120 and 130 snaps.  In the final pre-season game he led the team in tackles with six. 

Head coach of the Rams, Jeff Fisher, had this to say after the four exhibition games, “I believe he can play in the league.”

Columbia Broadcasting System Sports also caught an interview with the coach after the Rams released Sam on Sunday, “It was a football decision back in May to draft Mike. And once again, it's been all about football. I will tell you this: I was pulling for Mike. I really was. I don't say that very often, but Mike came in here and did everything that we asked him to do," said Fisher.

This proves that maybe even though Sam is gay they might really just be worrying about playing ability. 

The Rams also have a very good defensive line and one of the top defenses in the NFL, thus making it hard for Sam to make the team even if he was straight.

Luckily for Sam, the Dallas Cowboys picked him up when he was a free agent and is now on their practice squad where he makes $107,000 a year.

He is a great player and deserves to be on a team, and starting, but at the least still playing somewhere and getting to practice with a good team. 
Whatever team ends up with Sam as a starter will make major money in jersey sales.  In the pre-season alone Sam’s jersey was the number two selling rookies jersey behind the Cleveland Browns Johnny Manziel.

Because of these sales it is obvious that America and the fans of the NFL are supporting Michael and are hoping he does amazing things as he should.

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant stated “Michael Sam deserves respect. I don't judge a book by its cover. He's a football player and I don't look at him any different."

If some of the top players in the NFL can support Sam I believe that soon everybody will be able to support not only him, but also any other gay players who are willing to come out or encourage kids to play even though they are gay because they wont feel judged.

If a homosexual man can make it so the NFL and possibly play for the Dallas Cowboys (one of the NFL’s most iconic teams) then any other gay or lesbian person in the world can reach their goals.

I think it is amazing that Michael is open about who he is the fact that he is still perusing his goals is amazing. 

He is truly an inspiration even as he knows that people will judge him and try to get him to change or tell him that he cannot play, however he does not listen.

He is proving gender roles and common stereotypes wrong as he is able to compete with some of the best athletes in the world even with who he is and how he is.

Of course it will always be wondered whether or not it was his sexuality that got him cut but I guess we will never truly know.